[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - XV-99
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

XV-99

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: XV-99

Postby paulson games » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:17 pm

Update time:

Bit of reworking on the leg and reduced the size of the shoulder pad for a better fit. Also added cog bits to the side of the kee and replaced the damaged hip one.

Did soem work on the missle pod and also added a cog to the engine pivot point and new thruster/intake on the torso. Also the reposisting of the arm stud.

ImageImage
ImageImage
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby paulson games » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Double update for tonight, can't sleep and filling my time with modelling.

The missle just weren't working for me so I changed it up. Also cleaned up the shoulder pad needs a bit more work but much better than it was.

I'll be placing a sensor pod or target lock underneath the missles to help tie it into the FW plasma bit a lttle better

Also I'm toying around with various missle ideas as the standard rounded top looks a bit blah. One of the ideas is to use the missle pod from the space marine drop pods as it's a perfect fit on size but teh staggered missle pattern is a bit weird looking.

The secondary idea I had is to replace the missles with Wave system bits to give them macross/robotech style missles with a slot in the end.

This pod will need a bit of reworking as the missles aren't in line as smoothly as I'd like, it was a quick rush job for the pic. ;)
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:03 am

I like what you're doing with the Koto bits. Especially the one where you chopped off the wings!

I did like the missile pods where you had them but the durrent setup with the plasma rifle body looks pretty good too.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:02 am

Decided to try changing out the slated intake vent for a hexagonal mesh. Also did a bunch of clean up work on the side of the engine, removed the cog replaced it with a koto bit and also flattened out the side of the cowl a lot better and rescribed part of the panel lines as it wasn't very smooth surface.

The koto bit in place of the egine cog now support the missle rack, but it's removeable so that I can take off the missles and the cog detail is unmarred. Will probably get some more work in tonight, my last final is this afternoon and once that's done I'll have free time again for a bit, whew that was a long semester.

paulson games

Postby Warhound » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Nice grill!!!!

Not sure of the size suitability, but the koto missiles do look good- I suspect that you will need to make a casing for them to make it look more realistic- if that makes sense?

The 'shiny' new head looks great- just shaving it down a little and squaring it off makes all the difference I think;-)

I am still not sure about the missile rack mounting- it needs to be more organic- but the bulk of the weapon def answers what I think you were trying to achieve- it just sticks out like a sore thumb and needs more 'tau refinement' into the XV9 style- it is too much of a hangover from the XV8 if that makes sense?

I am not going to comment any more on the legs until you have done some more work - but hasten to say, I still think that they need a whole redesign...

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby paulson games » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Although I don't mid the stock legs very much, I know everyone hates the xv-9 legs so here's an idea to replace them.

paulson games

Postby Wolfs16 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm still not sold on those legs. They look too long and thin. Combined with the toe extenders, he looks very frog-like. I think that if you want to have bulkier legs, you should focus on building up the thighs. That will help to give it the heavy appearance it deserves.

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:38 am

I've been holding of posting about this to see a bit better where you planned on going. I like the concept so far. I like what you've done with the legs and I don't see the legs themselves as being too long for the torso. What does bother me are the toes and feet. I think these are now way out of proportion with the legs and making the legs feel too long.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Wolfs16 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:12 am

I think Vaaish has a point. The feet really do stretch out the legs. Maybe try those toe extentions on top of the toes, rather than attaching them like toe nails?

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby paulson games » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:04 am

Start of a possible alternate foot design

paulson games

Postby mangozac » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:13 am

Now we're talking! Round off the tops of the toes and I think it will work quite nicely.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Wolfs16 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:22 am

Oh now THAT is perfect! I love it! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to steal that idea.

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby Warhound » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:17 pm

now THAT is so much better! I never really has an issue with the last ones, but this squarer design makes it look more robust- I still think for a Broadside though, it needs a rear toe?

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Seb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:42 pm

I'll chime in, much prefer that foot design by a large margin. Small footprint it seems, but adds something to the overall look. (when comparing to the fuller shots above)

Y'know.. I havent seen a plain, out of the box Battlesuit in months.. anyone? :D

- Seb.
Seb

Postby dark_gear » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:38 am

Hope it's not too late to join the party 8-)

Love the progress on the legs since you started this project. The new toes in particular really ground the design. However, from the side, it really just seems like there needs to another toe as the ankles seems cantilevered too far towards the rear. For a different approach if the foot was made just a bit longer so that there seemed to be a naturally angled "foot-like transition" towards the toes, thereby adding a bit of extra suspension to the legs. It wouldn't be looking as much like a Tau foot as it does now but it would allow to dispense with adding a rear toe and it would allow make the model just a little bit taller too, further highlighting the "Tower of Power" idea you mentioned earlier.

The shin armour is great touch. Don't alter it anymore, in my mind that is good and done. When you look at it from the front though once thing that doesn't look quite right is the size of the shin itself. it looks downright flimsy, almost like it needs a calf muscle hydraulics box or something.

About the engine grill, while I agree that the orginal wasn't detailed enough, this fine mesh design doesn't quite do it for me. It just seems to be too much of a break from established Tau design language which is all about the horizontal lines. Have you considered trying to mimic the triangular ridge system of vehicle engine pods. Considering the new and improve size of these suits I think it's safe to say the power requirements could be mirrored by a borrowing of that design element and it tie it in quite nicely with the other elements of an army. (and yes I do realise this won't be displayed on a table for a game but people might still read it that way ;) )

Plain battlesuits? What are those?

Cheers,
Dark_Gear
dark_gear
Casual

Previous

Return to Modelling