[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - XV-99
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

XV-99

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

XV-99

Postby paulson games » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:29 am

I decided that I want to put together a golden demon attempt for this year, haven't ever entered it before but with Mark and Seb helping critique as I work on it I think I may get some head turned. I don't expect to take home gold or anything but I want people to stop and be like DAMN! with a jaw that hits the floor when they see the conversion work.

I've been ripping into the XV-9 and toying with ideas for the broadside conversion but also ideas on how I may modify it to be stand ins for the regular XV-8s. I've been reworking the engine mounting, feet and knees so far. Here's what I have:

Two differant knee options

Traditional B-side weapons

Big Cannon version
Last edited by paulson games on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: XV-99

Postby paulson games » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:45 am

Back shots:

It'll need some major gap filling on the suit right shoulder as I cut the gap a bit too deep at the top end.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:46 am

Oh nice! IMO the giant toes look a bit goofy but other than that I like where this is going.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Warhound » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Hey Jon,

Thanks for posting the additional shots, they really allow for an 'in the room' experience of what you have bashed together here! (hmm ITR- new shorthand for online chat?;-) (I kept Jon up past his bed time when he showed me these yesterday;-)

Anyway, I have to sort of agree with Zac on the foot. I actually really like the design, and the 'footprint' (pun intended) is actually very appropriate for being a broadside- larger spread area, but now seeing it from the back realise that it does need either a toe at the rear and/or bulking up in general (30%)?

The power/jump packs definitely need to be made to look more 'capacitor' like, and the middle area is screaming for panel lines/ the Tau symbol!

Looking again at the knees, I like the shape of the R'myr one, but the finesse of the XV81 one- it seems more in keeping with scale etc?

The Shifting of the centre of gravity at the waist has been a nice touch too!

Can't wait to see this evolve!

cheers
Mark
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby paulson games » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Tons of snow here and bitter cold so not much else to do asside from work on models. Here's the current progress. Converted the second leg and tinkered with a couple ideas for the hip piece. I think this one is a winner. I need to cast another set of shoulder pads for the knee.

The engine on the left side is a mangled one and it's only in place for giving the model a sense of what it'll look like completed. It was actually teh first engine I tried to cut loose and got a bit careless with the clippers which slipped and crushed the engine housing, oops.

Toying around with a couple head options, the lip of the armor needs to be cut back no matter what version of head I want to use so I experimented on an extra torso. Seems to work well and give the extra clearance both options need.

The target lock head has had it's ball mount removed and moved further back on the head so the head sits more forward than the stock version. Still experimenting with options so let me know if either of these grab you or if there's alternate dead ideas you might have.

paulson games

Postby mangozac » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm loving the twin engine design but I have to say from looking at it today the suit seems too tall. I think it's just that the legs are too long although I can't see them being any different to the stock XV9 ones in terms of height...

Additionally I'm not a fan of FW battlesuit heads so I find none of your variants particularly striking :roll:
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:05 pm

There's no changes to the height of the legs, still stock in that regard. Could be that the twin engines make it apear larger.

I kinda agree with the crisis suit heads being kinda lack luster, the FW are better than the plastic ones but even then they are kind eh but that's my general take on crisis suits on the whole. They are a good concept and cool in the art work but don't translate all that well well into models IMO.
paulson games

Postby Warhound » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Hey Jon,

sorry not been around- this is the week of hell with 3 more exams to go!!! (one done on a sunday night!).. but this def needs some feedback (the mecha thread is too early doors as you have so many darn toys in there!)...

So, to break it down:
Height- I don't think that this is an issue as such, as the XV9 is so much taller naturally- it adds to the idea that the Broadside unit is a tower of strength. As we both know at this time, it is now about trying to balance lithe movement with the essence of power- tricky to do.

Feet- these still rock- but need 'strengthening' to show that they spread the load of the suit well- it needs a rear toe also I feel?

Head- I would make this more refined (smaller even) and withdrawn into the suit. This can be done by adding bulk to the shoulders, so that it is sat in between- any reason why the missile pods could'nt be styled either side of the neck area? This may allow a XV8 head to be used as the size would justify it?

Engines- just look bad ass- once tidied up and detail adding they will be fine!

Groin- loving the additional plate, but this could actually be bigger/ wider?

Knees- loving the removed jet nubbins!!! However, this now makes the knee pad look massively oversized and awkward.. I would recommend sculpting a greave that blends up into a knee plate if that makes sense? This will also help balance the calf area, thicken the shin and make the overall silouhette blend more smoothly?

Hope the comments help?

cheers
Mark
Warhound

Postby paulson games » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm going to have to experiment with a smaller and possibly recessed head. It'll give a more powerful look as the bulked out shoulders give the impression of a football linebacker. Missle pods fit over the shoulders may work but they will probably be fused with the torso and may block the rotational bit in front of the engines. Not overly concerned about the engines being able to swing forward but I'll have to wait and see how it looks when I experiment.

Feet will still need some bulking out probably a rear toe added and a small extension on teh inner claw toe.
paulson games

Postby paulson games » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Did some more work, moved the arms down and forward to bring them in line with the torso. The stock xv-9 has the arms set way too far back behind the torso's center line which creates a look that the suits chest is puffing out and also a large flat surface on the side of the torso which just doesn't look as professional as it could be.

Shortened down the rail cannon and I'll be adding the FW ammo feed when I figure out how to attach it without it looking jammed in. Will probably need to heat it up and adjust the curvature.

Switched the knee pad to see how it'd look with the 84 parts, also the head from the commander.

Rough mock up for the missle launchers, not sure about the idea yet, will need a significant amount of greenstuff to fuse them with the exsisting torso.
paulson games

Postby Warhound » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:30 pm

Ok, so now we are getting somewhere :D

I told you... The XV8 head is fine! :lol: The profile and size is spot on and will allow for rotation more easily if you do decide to go the MP shoulder mount route. I never liked either of the metal variants, but this is adequate to illustrate the point (your own plastic rendition would be better)

The Missile pods are working really well! Given the dimensions from front and side views, with more refinement, this could be set back deeper into the hull to make a more smooth profile. . however, one potential problem could be that once added- the side plan where the shoulder mount is, could become too flat and large an area.. with just a ball mount sticking out?

To remedy this, I would be looking at shrinking the size down of the pods to either 5 or 4 missiles and that would lend itself to more interesting 'aerofoil shapes' such as the rear intake on this: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=
This could go over the head or just stay either side?

The knees just are not working Jon. The problem is that they are too thick for the area in the first place. I would be working either adapting a stealth shoulder pad or sculpting up, forming a thicker shin area to balance not just the calf area, but also from a front angle, the transition from the large foot spread to the quite refined knee area. It is tricky i know, because the new foot design is so angular, but this will help make the suit a new design ;) Check out my old XV88.2 for ideas (even if you don't like the style/ design)

(I am also wandering about whether hip protection with 'flared' shins would be an idea?)

Otherwise, all good man!

cheers
Mark
Warhound

Postby paulson games » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:36 pm

My concern with the missle pod is that theya re too short in depth, the missles would have to be quite stubby and short in order to fit in the shoulder launcher. Granted advanced Tau tech can probably make some pretty heavy hitting missles the size of grenades so maybe I'm over thinking things a bit.

The commander head I like better than the plastic xv-8 heads because it provides more lenses and more importantly it's not just a box, it has the additional sensor stack on top which I think helps break up the head a bit also gives it a sense that it has additional targeting systems.

I'm going to have to do a lot of thinking on the legs, I think the thinner shins and lower legs help make the Tau look part of what it is. Gundamns and human mecha are defined by having very thick feet and a lot of gundams look like they have very wide lower legs and clown shoes on. Large upper thighs and smaller lower legs combined with a reverse knee give it a very goat like agile look that I think is part of the Tau design. But that said I'll be giving it much more thought.

Also since I can't afford to go to the GD competition please move it to the modelling forums. (damn baltimore for having the ONLY GD in the US!!! wtf??)
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:52 pm

The MPs are working well but I reckon you could get away with a single vertical column of 3 on each side. That would create perfect lines from the intakes down to the front of the shoulders.

The head is perfect, but I would shorten the antenna a bit. The stubby railgun is fun too!

The legs are a hard one. I would try sculpting a completely new lower leg/foot setup but that's just me.
mangozac

Postby Seb » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:10 am

Most of what I would critique on has been covered, so I'll add how full on this model is. It really stands true, offer the Tau community a new suit, they rip it to pieces and add it too yet more conversions haha :)

- Seb
Seb

Postby Wolfs16 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 am

Oh man, I guess I'm a little late to the party! This is some great progress you have here. Let me break down my thoughts:

Body:
The torso looks very agile, which the XV9 should be. But for this to be a Broadside, I think there need to be some changes to give the appearance of Slow and Purposeful. What if you added armor plates to the hips? That way it strengthens up the leg a bit more and provides more bulk. Possible bits: Dreadnought Power Plant case, half of the engine of a Space Marine Jump Pack or simply using a Tau shoulder pad (one with no symbol).

Legs and Knee's:
The knee pads are a good idea, but their positioning looks a little strange to me. I agree with Warhound's comments and I think going for a smaller armor plate for the shin area would work out better. What about taking the XV8 shoulder and making it into a knee pad? That's been done before, but I think it is a pretty good look.

Feet:
This are just not working out. In my opinion, the toes are just too long. It makes him look like he's wearing flippers! Why not take the XV9 foot idea and bulk it up? Instead of having a little toe on the inside, would it be possible to create a toe that is the same size as the toe on the opposite side? It would give the model a sense of balance that I think Broadsides need. Then you could bulk out the front of the toe a bit to give it a little more size. If you do that, you may not even need a toe in the back to stabilize, but it might help.

Engines:
LOVE IT. They look like Chaos Raptor engines! But with this being a Broadside, wouldn't it need big heat sinks instead of engines?

Head:
I have always loved that metal head, but I think the big wonky antenna throws it off. Maybe if you cut it off and just left the little "crown" part at the front of the head stay, you would have a much sturdier effect.

Shoulders:
Bulky shoulders definitely will help this guy look beefy. Are you going to add another layer?

Weapons:
I love the gigantic railgun, but the stubby ones you have now look really good! As for the missiles, that's a fantastic idea and I think I will try to emulate that as well.

Wolfs16
Casual

Next

Return to Modelling