[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Warhound's GD Sculpt and construction blog ±2010±
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Warhound's GD Sculpt and construction blog ±2010±

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Warhound's GD Sculpt and construction blog ±2010±

Postby Warhound » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Suggestions are always welcome- thanks Mel:-)

The bizarre thing is that all 3 of your thoughts are already in action- the eyebrow has a bar piercing, the tooth has been added and the tattoo will be applied when painted (ala Tyson style)

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Warhound » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:15 pm

HAPPY NEW DECADE!

and what a year it is going to be..... :crafty:

Anyway, before I start wetting peoples appetites with new shiny things, I thought I would update on my own cadres efforts, and they have managed to punch out 2 more XV88.2 models from my own Fio workshop!
(and yes there are some airbubble issues, but they are easy to remedy :crafty: )

More to come over the next day or 2......

and just because it's soooo funny! :P

Full photos here: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... CT%20DONE/

cheers
WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby Dominus Ex Machina » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 pm

Looking great! Awesome work, very well done.

They are much bigger than I though they were!
Dominus Ex Machina
Casual

Postby paulson games » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 am

Those look huge next to the stock models. Not planning on any cover saves I hope ;)

You're going to have to adjust their statline as there's no way in heck something that huge and powerfull looking has a toughness 4. Toughness 5 at least, or maybe even dreadnought type armor.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 am

Man I shudder at the thought of all those air bubbles! It will be so much better when you guys get your pressure casting setup going. And yes, they do indeed make the GW broadsides look a tad pathetic! ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby CMDante » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 am

Wow, I hadn't appreciated the increase in size on these things until that last pic! Truly crisis suits! :D

I second the comments on the pressure casting system! When will that be? :)

CMDante
Casual

Postby drmarco » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 am

Hey 'Hound - belated festive greetiness etc....

Loving the homebuilds - especially the left-most in the group scale shot...wonderful sense of the dynamic to it. One of the things that sets the Tau and eldar tech apart from Imperial issue is that organic movement that is often lacking, especially in big suit builds.

Can't wait to see what you're up to next!

Marco

So many projects, so little time...
drmarco
Casual

Postby Warhound » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:28 am

Ok- so been a little while producing some more stuff- but merely waiting on silicone was the issue ;)

While the shots are not in the best light (late night :shock: ) I think that they illustrate what I have been up to of late.

Basically, I am tired of Basic Tau suits- modelling them, casting them, adapting them etc, so am now at the end of punching this work out- I just want my cadre at full fighting strength now!! And so, while the 'XV9' weapon load out is not shown here, what is shown, is the adaptation to XV8 and XV88.... Bit of a kit bash on the XV88, but I thought, 'well, they are supposed to be based on the same chassis' 8-)

Anyway, now that I have these badboys on the road (O.H. ;) )I can get on with the truely creative stuff!! ;) 8-)

SO, enjoy;-) .... oh, and these are first cast with minimal clean up!

XV88,....

There still needs to be missile pods added to the 'rotator' area of the shoulders/ and or targeters, but otherwise I have totally bastardised the last XV88 upscale to get these done for my army!

Cheers
WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby paulson games » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Looks pretty nice, I like the xv-8 head on the suit oddly it looks better and more in scale than the xv-9's standard head.

Your casting-fu has defiantely stepped up considerably. :)

Are the vertical fins just attached to the round thruster disc? or did you come up with some sort of custom set up? Pics?
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm

As I said over MSN, there is much awesomeness going on here!

My very favourite part is the chest piece made fom the shoulder armour plate. It works so fantastically it's not funny! As Jon said, the XV8 head looks great on the XV9. I've always preferred the "pinhead" style mecha aesthetic and the stock XV9 head is just too big.

I'm interested to see how the XV9 torso looks on those big stocky XV88 legs of yours.
mangozac

Postby Warhound » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:38 pm

New year and a new me!

Anyway, now with my reconstructed XV8, 9 done and XV88's nearly done, I am on to working on the 'JV6' model.

I wanted to base these on a support unit that would aid the kroot squads, that would have the same strength and firepower as a Kroot ox, but without the cumbersome nature.
In simple gaming terms, it would be bought as an 'XV8' and armed with either fusion or plasma for a shock lance, the 'run' rule would represent them loping along side the troops, and the strength and toughness good for CC.

Rules could be easily made to give them a harder CC edge (an extra point of S, I and boost the WS) but otherwise they would be XV8's - just repackaged Also adding VRT as standard would make them more 'lithe'

The 'chicken' nature also mimicks the Gnarlocs and so would sit aesthetically very well! While I am not so sure on the headress (I have to think in casting terms) the overall design is tight indeed! (Care of Lord Dirk)

Please discuss at leisure!- what do you like, what do you not- what would you like to see?

WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:25 pm

This is indeed very different to the JV concepts we discussed. Are you thinking of going with this instead of that or in addition to?

I'd try to stick with the headdress design if you can - it'll just mean a few extra bits to cast but IMO it would be worthwhile. The axe looks really weird though. I would suggest some kind of shock lance in a similar style to the electrostaffs used by the magnaguards in Episode III. Other than that it is a fun idea and shouldn't take too long to execute.

I like the way the kroot pilot sits but how will you skirt IP with regards to the pilot sculpt?
mangozac

Postby drmarco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:12 am

Theoretically you could leave off the Kroot's head.

Substitute it for another, alternate, but SEPARATE alien head sculpt, and if some GW fans decide that that spindly body mounted on a robot suit would look better with the heads from their Kroot kit, so be it...

Marco

So many projects, so little time...
drmarco
Casual

Postby Warhound » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 am

Ok, so I may have been off the radar for a little while, but my fingers have not been idle! :D

What I have been upto of late is finshing off the 're-imagining' of the XV88 broadside suit. After completing the XV9 revision so that I can use them as XV8 models in my army, I decided that the XV88 needed a 9 overhaul ;) and also it would allow me to revisit the original upsized bits and correct some earier mistakes/ ommissions. The new casts of this will be so tidy! ;)

Anyway, onto the work... so I have gap filled and added to the legs and feet, started work on the groin extra armour, finished the torso upscale and added tube 'swivel' points to the shoulders. These as you can see hold advanced sensor suits and will also be adaptable to have extra missiles on top of the arm mounts (well the SMS does fire 4 shots per turn! ;) ) In both regards the mount means that they can be rotated about 15 degrees :D :D

SO what do you think?

cheers
WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:45 pm

As said on MSN, I'm not so fond of the head design - there's something more Imperial looking about it than there is Tau. And the pelvis area definitely needs some work - as is it looks like he's wearing an armoured nappy!

Shoulder mounted sensors are indeed very cool ;)
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling