[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Thunderwolf cav
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Thunderwolf cav

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Thunderwolf cav

Postby paulson games » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Found a wolf that I think is large enough to work as a riding wolf for thunderwolf cavalry. Obviously it'll need quite a bit of work to make a suitable harness & saddle and the rider will need better posistioning and space wolf bits, but I thought I'd post this up for scale to see what you guys think.

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Thunderwolf cav

Postby drmarco » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:59 pm

*Steps sneakily out of the shadows of lurkiness...*

Nice size, decent shape...Finally some useful bases to work from...

Where are they from, Paulson?

Eldar-to-the-core though I am, I've been toying with the idea of building up a squad of these since Canis was released, as - controversial though it is - I quite like the idea of Thunderwolf cavalry...They just seem too iconic to neglect, and in a setting where eagles can have extra heads grafted on, and even the underhive's police can have robotic sniffer dogs, I like the idea for a real centrepiece conversion.

I've been playing around with the idea of ordering a few of , but was afraid they might look a bit too rigid...how do you think your options would fair in tournament/'in-store' playability? Reckon it'd still be viewed as adequately GW?

Marco

So many projects, so little time...
drmarco
Casual

Postby paulson games » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 am

Both of them are from the prepainted D&D line, the first one is a dire wolf and teh second is a vampire dire wolf that I removed the spines from. As far as legality goes it's hard to say as GW doesn't make thunderwolf cav so IMO it's kinda of hard to enforce the model standard when they don't have a base model to work from. If you use the marine and add bits to the wolf itself it should be ok unless the judge/opponent is being a complete ass and then it's probably an event you want to skip anyways.

I'm not a huge fan of the thing from the woods the sculpt looks really terrible IMO.

I found this on coolminiornot, and he just relisted some for sale on ebay last night for $12 each, so I ordered a pair. Not sure how many he has in stock but last time he sold almost 200 of them.

Run a search for "space thunder wolf " and it should pop up.

If you want a really armored up looking beasty therre's this from hell dorado which I'd love to get but can't find anywhere, stupid french games and lack of US distributors. ;) If you can find him it'd be far better than the beast from the woods. Reminds me of the wolf-lions from brotherhood of the wolf.

(hell dorado Mouth of the Abyss)
paulson games

Postby Arkangel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:55 am

These have just been releaesed :D
http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?m ... b9033b4ab2

Also check out :
http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps ;)

Arkangel
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby Arkangel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:02 am

STOP THE PRESS!!!!!! go check these out!!!!!!

http://www.mrdandy.com/wargamma-battle-wolves/

Got some on the way. Hopefully I can figure a happy medium between these and Canis's Wolf.

Enjoy

Arkangel ;)

Arkangel
Habit

Postby drmarco » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 am

Excellent find, Ark!

Shouldn't take much to make them table-worthy, and it seems they've put a lot of thought into them though I'm not sure how a friendly neighbourhood tournament ref or GW store would stand on their usage - Though if they don't manufacture a mini to fill that gap in their range, it'd be a heck of a cheek to turn it down...

Marco

So many projects, so little time...
drmarco
Casual

Postby paulson games » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 am

Saw some of those at Adepticon, IMO found them to be overly large.

They would do ok for filling the thudnerwolf cav but IMO the russian wolf is a lot better for the price, and look a bit more keen. The only downside is he only has one pose.

I did see a huge amount of converted thuderwolves, a few of the russian ones were around and a lot of ones converted from the GW thunderwolf lord model. Lots of greenstuff work and not exactly cheap but overall they looked fairly good.
paulson games

Postby Arkangel » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:26 am

So got my TWC mini's a couple of weeks ago and have been able to find the time to clean and pin them. At the fist opportunity I'll be posting them up ;)

Arkangel

Arkangel
Habit

Postby Arkangel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:04 am

New thunderwolf alternatives are in:

http://shop.masq-mini.de/index.php?cat= ... 28b91f62de

Arkangel
Habit

Return to Modelling