[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Forge World flyer - Arvus Lighter
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Forge World flyer - Arvus Lighter

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Forge World flyer - Arvus Lighter

Postby Dominus Ex Machina » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 am

Hi gang, this is the latest project I have started (got so many going on right now, I don't even want to count them). As the topic says, this is an Arvus Lighter from FW. A model I have never seen anywhere other than on the FW site, probably because it has no weapons. I've always liked the design though (know many who don't!) but thought it a bit too expensive. Turned out a friend of mine had bought one and wanted to sell it so I took the opportunity!

The model was larger than I had thought it to be from the pics on the FW site. The casting was perfect with very little warpage or mouldrelease which was a relief as I've recently got some kits that required a lot of bending and cleaning.

I've never been quite happy with the stiff pose of the pilot so this was the first issue I addressed. I've made the following changes to the cockpit and pilot:

- The pilot was very stiff, so I chopped of his head and repositioned it slightly (which meant I had to sculpt a new neck for him as well, doesn't show well in the pics) which made him look a little more natural in my oppinion.
- I've replaced a sculpted cable with an actual one (taken from an old computer).
- I value comfort and safety for my pilot so I removed some protruding parts that he would slam his head in should the ride become bumpy and sculpted him a headrest, which should keep him happy.
- Lastly I added a new microphone to his helmet, the one that comes with the set didn't look quite realistic enough (and yes, it is actually made from a piece of dried straw, my insanity knows no bounds. Which is why I come here to the polymer institute in the first place ;) )

Will keep you updated as I do more on this project, with any luck this will be the first model I paint with an airbrush (have been considering getting one for ages, we'll see if I ever get around to it). Also I will let it be known that this might take a while to complete and updates may be few and far in between as I can only work on it during weekends (and even so, I do work on some weekends)
Dominus Ex Machina
Casual

Re: Forge World flyer - Arvus Lighter

Postby dark_gear » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:37 am

Great start for that project. Love the very tiny finicky detail work you're doing in an area that will be very hard to see. Seems you truly your place in the Institute ;)

Regarding the dried straw you used for the mic, did you stiffen it with CA? It seems to have that tell-tale white tinge to it. If not, how did you get it to keep the bend?

Cheers,
Marc
dark_gear
Casual

Postby Dominus Ex Machina » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:21 am

Cheers dark_gear. I did indeed strengthen the straw with glue, well spotted. I was worried it'd snap off when I paint it if I didn't strenthen it, it actually held the bend by itself, so I gave it two thin coats of glue.
Dominus Ex Machina
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 am

I've always loved the simple design of the Arvus too. Looks like a fun project so I will watch keenly ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Seb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 am

With Zac on this one, great model and one of my To Buy pieces when I settle down after my travels. I didnt realise the head needed the attention, but it certainly captures a better feeling to the pilot going about his flying.

Keeping tabs on this for sure.

- Seb
Seb

Postby Warhound » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 am

Agreed, agreed, agreed and love it!

Can't add more at the moment- look forward to the progress shots!

cheers
WARHOUND

LOVE IT.
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Return to Modelling