[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Project Log: Marauder Destroyer
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Project Log: Marauder Destroyer

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Project Log: Marauder Destroyer

Postby Barn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 am

I have to say, seeing the pictures of the battle, the base did look right at home.
Barn
User

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

BlueRonin
User

Postby paulson games » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 am

This is coming together really well, the paint scheme is excellent. Testors sells a do it yourself decal kit so if you can find any nose art you like you can make decals form it. If you need any photoshop help to clean it up or anything just let me know.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 am

nice pics!!! very nice board you guys set up and it was almost like looking at a white dwarf battle report when GW cared for the hobby.....

And yes with the nose art..... but its my personal opinion (well I suppose Paulsons too!!) I have a tonne of pinup art and such if your looking for something in particular.....or photoshop your own as most of the poses are alike!!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby BlueRonin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:39 am

Thanks guys, when I get to that stage I'll be sure to have a chat with you and get some guidance! It will be helpful!

Work is progressing slowly as my daughter is sick again, poor thing (luckily it's just a cold); but I've been going over the model when I've been able to and getting the basecoat blocked in along with some subtle shading and highlighting. I still have a little bit to go, but I should be ready to start the weathering process within a couple days.

Some keen eyed readers might notice a few differences from the scheme I was going for - some of those differences were intentional, some not so much, hehe - but I think I'm working myself towards capturing the image of the Marauder Destroyer pictured in Imperial Armour Volume 1 operating over the jungle Deathworld.

For those curious, here is a list of the painting steps I've done so far

1) Basecoat Skull White
2) Airbrush Kommando Khaki
3) Mask for camo pattern - airbrush Catachan Green
4) Mask for underside shade - airbrush Chardon Granite
5) Clean up where necessary with the appropriate colors mentioned above.
6) Glaze the aircraft Gryphonne Sepia
7) Drybrush tan areas with Bleached Bone
8) Drybrush green areas with Camo Green
9) Draw out all panel lines with Devlan Mud (did this twice)
10) Repeat steps 6 through 8
11) Basecoat metal details with a 5:1 mix of Boltgun Metal and Chaos Black
12) Basecoat brassworks with Tin Bitz
13) Wash metal and brassworks with Devlan Mud
14) Basecoat black details with Chaos Black
15) Drybrush black areas with Adeptus Battlegrey
16) Wash black details with Badab Black

I'll add to this list of steps as I work myself through to the finish line. Not sure if anybody finds it useful, but at least its there if I loose it and want to paint another Marauder Destroyer... ;)

On another note... this has gone from building and into painting... do I just keep going or is it the moderators wish that I start a new log in "Painting"? I noticed I've not been particular with where I posted the Khorne stuff, which should have all been in painting (moderators - feel free to move the thread).
BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:31 pm

It has been a while since I've posted an update here, but that does not mean the Marauder has been gathering dust.

I've been working on blocking out the base colors and adding some basic shade/highlight as well as line highlights to increase the contrast on the hull. I've been enjoying this in between other projects so its been a bits low, but finally coming together. The only 'oops' was noticing I had gotten ahead of myself and left the top gun turret a bit behind.

Today I focused on getting the turret up to speed, however; and masked up the windows and heavy bolters so I could assemble the turret. The gaps were pretty bad so I've green stuffed them and currently waiting for that to harden so I can smooth it out with some sandpaper

With that out of the way it'll be some quick work to bring the turret in line with the rest of the plane and then it'll be time for decals!

I really want to add some nose art, but I feel a bit at a loss at the moment. Paulson's tip on the paper I could get from Testors is appreciated, and I will get some - but I am not graphics-savvy enough to prepare an image that is good-to-go to print. Furthermore, if anybody could point me to some place specific to browse through pin-up nose art for a motive that I think would fit - I'd be very grateful!
BlueRonin
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Dragonforge » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:08 am

Some where I have some sheets of Pin Up Nose art decals.. Ill have a look and see if I can find them.

I think I bought them off Starship modeler

And here's the link.. Cheese Cake any one?

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/ind ... decals.cfm
Dragonforge
User

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:22 am

Jeff - you are the man! That is exactly the type of simple solution I was after! :) I know, I know... I can be lazy... but those decals looked pretty sweet. I just ordered a sheet, I'm sure I'll find one that strikes my fancy and fits the Destroyer!
BlueRonin
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:40 am

I'll have to file that way for future reference! Starship Modeller has some good stuff, yet I don't often find myself looking there. I wonder why?
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:25 am

BlueRonin
User

Postby BlueRonin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:55 am

Okay, I've brought the turret up to speed - and actually surpassed the rest of the Marauder!

At this scale my green stuff skills are weak - I sat and carefully sanded throughout a whole movie yesterday but still the join was far from flush, and ended up leaving unsightly marks after painting. That is something I'm going to have to start taking seriously as I progress towards more demanding builds that demand a high quality finish.

Nevertheless, the basic colors are pretty much on, so now I just have to wait for those nose art decals so I can complete its markings. Then It'll be sponged down (like the gun turret) for chipping, and two coats of Klear before the weathering process begins. Man, it really feels like I'm getting close!

BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:24 am

mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling