[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Project Log: Marauder Destroyer
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Project Log: Marauder Destroyer

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Project Log: Marauder Destroyer

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:49 am

Okay... now we start getting into the challenging stuff. I've used airbrush quite a bit, but complex patterns with two and three schemes, not to mention 'complicated' camouflage patterns - is new to me. I spent about 5 hours over 3-4 sessions applying masking tape, and praying I had cleaned the resin well enough to prevent the first layer (Kommando Khaki) peeling off with the tape. I then gave the craft another layer of Kommando Khaki to seal the masking, before spraying on two layers of Catachan Green.

After letting the paint dry and cure for a while, I carefully peeled off the entire mask, one bit at a time, and was relieved to see the paint stayed on the hull! The masking wouldn't really have impressed anyone, as there were more small 'leaks' than I had hoped, but for a first time on such a (relatively) complicated job I am very happy. I'll have to do q bit of touch-up work with a brush, but the smooth layer of paint as well as the crisp edges of the camouflage made the time spent on masking to use an airbrush worthwhile. I'll definitely be doing more research on masking materials and techniques, however; both to save time and get better with it!

I did suffer a bit of a catastrophe, though; as I removed the masking on the windows one of the came loose and fell into the cockpit. It was one of the two I had converted and built into the back. I have no idea how I am going to fish it out, let alone re-attach it... and I deserve a kick in the butt for not getting proper glue for clear plastic parts and attaching it solidly. Worse case scenario the navigator will have opened the window for some fresh air... ;) It isn't something most people will notice, but it does irk me of course. Maybe I'll come up with some great idea on how to replace the window without having to tear off the whole canopy.

In any case... still a great, rewarding project and I'm learning lots! Now it is back to my desk with the tape to mask it all up again. Thankfully this time around there is no strange patterns, I'm just masking it up to apply the bottom coat of dark gray (although I am still torn between Chardon Granite and Adeptus Battlegray). Once the last airbrushed basecoat is on, I plan to touch up all the slight leaks, then carefully drybrushing on some highlights before giving the whole vehicle a airbrushed glaze of Gryphonne Sepia. Then it's be a bit more work on the three base colors before I cans tart basecoating details. That's when it'll really start to come together - or at least I hope so ;) I know I won't be finished-finished by the 22nd, no way; but with a soal basecoat the model wills till look good on the tabletop!
BlueRonin
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:28 am

It looks amazing guy.... very cherry!!!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:04 am

Sash that's looking beautiful man! I was going to say I've never seen one painted with stripes like that, but then I realised I'm not sure if I've ever seen one painted at all! I love the colours and the patterning and it's a bummer about the window :(
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:30 am

BlueRonin
User

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:51 am

I admit it has been a bit of a rush job, but this evening I managed to knock out the base for my Marauder Destroyer. Still, I'm happy with it - it is good enough not to draw attention away from the model either way, and it ties into my gameboard very well - so job's a good'un imho!

The paintjob consisted of (the usual) layers upon layers of dry brushing and washing, with some grass and plants added at the end.

Finally, here is a shot of the whole model... I haven't shortened down the rod yet... not sure if I will, actually - the whole rig is quite stable! I'm very happy with it! As it is it is definitely tall enough to really give one that sense of a Flyer (as opposed to a skimmer) coming in NOE over the battlefield!

Again, kudos to Jeff - the base is awesome - solid resin, nice detail (even on this, one of his simpler bases), and practically no prep needed! Fantastic!

BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:49 am

Honestly I find the base a little underwhelming. IMO it needs some more variation to the ground level (it looks too flat and perfect) and possibly some more foliage.

I've never been a fan of a random bit of Imperial ruins in the jungle - that ruin is part of what would have been a much larger building so there should be much more ruins left rather than that tiny bit. For that reason I reckon it would work better if the walls were extended to the edge of the base (shouldn't be hard to sculpt up with some Milliput) and some more bits of rubble around.

Can't wait to see the finished Bomber!
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:54 am

You are right, of course... I'm thinking I can chop up the other part of the ruins in that kit and use it as you suggest, and add 2-3 times the amount of foilage... I've been wanting to try the Etched Brass fern leaves from Antenocitis Workshop (). Also, some details like a fallen log etc. could spruce up the base as well...

Good points, something to work on!
BlueRonin
User

Postby blind pig » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 am

All looks good.....

.....except for the plastic plants. They look plastic.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:45 am

Whilst these ones don't look as bad as many I've seen, Blind Pig does have a point :P

Seriously, the options you mention like the ferns and log along with some bushes (like ) would make all the difference.

That's why I gave up on doing jungle terrain - the concept is awesome but the execution to make it look good is just too much work and really expensive to do right :oops:
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 pm

See, these are interesting points - and I couldn't agree more with you and Blind Pig, Zac; from a fine scale modelers point of view jungle is a righteous pain where the sun rather wouldn't shine... but from a miniature wargamer's point of view it is an exciting and colorful setting.

In other words if you want to get a realistic finish that is a joy to study you need to invest heavily in the modeling of foliage. Some favorites of mine are (from various artists off ):

However, you will note than none of these miniatures are tabletop miniatures. It just isn't feasible to invest that amount of time and effort into an army, nor would it be practical to raise the scenery to that level of detail as the whole point is moving miniatures around on the tabletop.

On the other hand, when the jungle terrain no longer part of the focal point it makes sense to exploit that fact and create a framework of texture and color at a fraction of the effort. GW's jungle terrain is a great example of this imho, as they convey a sense of jungle by using a repetitive set of variable plants and shrubbery themes broken up with details (such as ruins) to keep the eye from paying too much attention to the "plastic" and other obvious negatives (aquarium plants, for instance; give great texture to the table, but can't be painted).

Again, to a fine detail modeler's eye, these gameboards are terrible examples of terrain, but I don't think anybody can argue that they aren't wonderful sets to play on?

This doesn't really argue against your point, I just wanted to share my reflections on the subject a bit and point out that although I really want to be working on my modeling skills and raising the bar - I am still on the "gamer" side of the fence, and thus there is always a consideration of priority between what type of and how much effort is put into a model.

Anyway, aside from those thoughts I'll definitely be investing more time in working up the base a bit. The plastic plants will have to stay, as they tie the piece quite nicely into my gameboard (pictures later) - but what I do read from Blind Pig's post is that the composition makes them stand out too much at the moment, and I might experiment with some variation of plants in order to break up the individuality of those plastic fantastic twigs!

Thanks for the input guys, gets those gears churning!
BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:54 pm

You make some very good points, but the thing is that this is a flyer's base, so it lays in a grey area between single mini and bulk terrain. I agree the examples of the GW tables are certainly very pleasing to the eye in their completeness.

I'm not saying you need to go to extremes with the Marauder's base, just bring it up a notch because as is it honestly detracts from the awesomeness of the model and the way you're painting it. Like I said, it doesn't need to be the level of a Golden Demon mini, but it does need to be better than your average terrain because regardless, when juxtaposed against the rest of the army the base is what represents the flyer when alongside the rest of the miniatures.

BTW, I find the GW "bamboo" trees (kebab skewers painted to look like bamboo and with clump foliage stuck to the top) to be one of the best looking options for jungle trees.
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Yeah, I've done a few bases of those Bamboo trees and they look even better in real life - I'm a huge fan! Only issue is that the break easily... or rather, those foliage parts from the Citadel Woods that I use break off easily... :P Then again, I think terrain meant to survive a season of gaming would have to be made out of stainless steel.

As for the base, you are right and I've already been playing with some ideas to fill it in with more ruins and foliage. Unfortunately it will have to wait until "Stage 2" - i.e. everything to be done AFTER the big game tomorrow. However, I've got some tree stumps, fallen logs, and a few different types of plants I'm going to work in around 2-3 more broken bits of ruin. I'll probably mock it up a bit as a WIP in order to get some feedback!
BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:08 pm

I'd like to see some more unevenness to the ground also - build up some areas slightly.
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:58 am

Well, the big game is a wrap and the Marauder Destroyer has had its first flight! It came out of the game unscratched, but with only 11 minor kills - 3 Alpha Legion Chaos Space Marines and 8 Slanneshi Cultists. 'Sadly' I was just about to roll the results of three penetrating hits on a Greater Brass Scorpion of Khorne (with only 1 Structure Point left) when a team mate 'stole' the kill with a Vortex Grenade... so morally I consider it assisting in the kill of a super-heavy on its first battle! ;)

Anyway, back on the painting desk (without Khorne Daemonic Engines vying for attention) I've gotten back to work. The base will wait until the aircraft is ready, and then I'll get back to trying to satisfy the masses with that one ;) I've started blocking in the gunmetal basecoats, but before I did that I actually took the chance and freehanded a fade with my airbrush (which for me is a pretty big deal), and I'm happy with the results.

The fade was part of the paintscheme I am going for, so it would have been wrong of me to chicken out ;) It isn't as even as I would have liked it to be, but close enough to create the effect I was looking for! Tomorrow, I have most of the day just to enjoy advancing this kit before going back to work Tuesday.
BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:11 am

Man the fading looks absolutely brilliant - there's no question you're going to do this model justice!
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling