[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Postby blind pig » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:44 pm

Nah, every time you cast using talc you remove all the talc from within the mould.

Remember to use a light spray of the release agent, after giving a quick purge spray first away from the mould and wait for the release agent to fully dry before pouring the resin.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:24 am

nothing to add.... Everyone pretty much cleared it up!

Although with the spray, Literally a puff over the molds should do well... no need to saturate them. this was a mistake I made in the beginning.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Barn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Alrighty, more questions :D

So I bought a and I *think* I have enough left to make 1 more mould.

Common sense would suggest that whats left in the little bottle of blue stuff should be the perfect amount to put into the bigger jar of sticky stuff. This would be the best way to use every last drop, but is it reliable? Or Should I still mix them by weight, leaving some behind in the Jar?

I also believe silicone sticks to other silicone perfectly. If I pour what I have left in a mould, and im not happy enough is in there, can I mix more and 'top it up'?
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:26 pm

From my experience there's never enough of the blue stuff left. You might be best to measure out (by weight) like usual an amount of the blue and then add the correct amount of white to that...

Yep you can always "top up" the mould later - just make sure it doesn't collect any dust or anything between pours.

Now that you've gotten used to the casting process I would try out some Pinkysil next. Because it's a 1:1 mix you're less likely to have that annoying not enough of one part left problem ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 am

I second the 1-1 mix.... I HAVE to use 10-1 now with metal but 1-1 is always a Fave for me.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Barn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry i didnt reply! :oops:

Ive put off buying any more silicone untill i find out how much one of Bek's pistols is going to cost me :P

I have though, had time to start to paint some models to go on my bases!
Barn
User

Previous

Return to Modelling