[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:36 am

for what I do is Lego block container with a foamcore base. the bases I am casting are glued to foamcore with enough space between them to allow flex. I then brush my silicon over the bases entirely to coat the part, and then pour the rest in from far up to "degas" with a thin ribbon stream. let set up and then Im done. Mix resin, pour, repeat

Im SURE you know what your doing BUT this is a nice pamplet made by Micro-mark I ALWAYS have beside me to remind me of silly mistakes i normally forget (like mold release between the sides of a two part mold.... :twisted: :twisted: )
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Barn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Barn
User

Postby blind pig » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Yeah, just cover them with some glad wrap or something in case of any drips or spills. There are digital kitchen scales right? With 0.1g resolution?

Sounds like it'll be an exciting (if somewhat expensive) day tomorrow!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Barn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Yeah my wife does some part time cake decorating, so she has a fancy set of digital scales. I just wanted to check I wont ruin them :P
Barn
User

Postby blind pig » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:36 pm

She'll ruin you if you get resin in the works of her nice scales though, I'll bet. :lol:

I use large sandwich bags to cover my scales and keep the resin off them; It dosen't affect their ability to weigh stuff.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Barn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Last edited by Barn on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barn
User

Postby Barn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:39 am

It's Sunday! With my hectic day over, its time to sit back and start playing with the new goodies i got yesterday :) (I didnt bother to photograph everything :P)

Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:14 am

Ahhh that brings back memories. Such an exciting time standing at the base of what is the casting learning curve cliff :P

The difference is that you've got Resin Addict to help you out - I was working almost solo!

We expect a full recount of the day tonight :)
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:55 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Barn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 pm

lol its actually not a playmat, its a table :) Only one I can find to show you what its like is on . If you look at the pictures, the middle of the table lifts up and has a net to store the lego in it! While it is for the kids, its also the perfect hieght for me to sit on the couch, watch TV and do some modeling/painting :P

So here's what im going to cast:

Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:58 am

So did you pour some silicone yesterday or what?
mangozac

Postby Barn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:21 am

Nope!

Turned out the scales had flat batteries :/

I am going to do it in around 30 mins or so though :D
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 am

The anticipation is killing me!
mangozac

Postby Barn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 am

All done :)

I mixed 280 grams of the white stuff with 28 grams of the blue stuff :P

I brushed it as best as I could around the bases, then poured the rest in from a height.

I had a load of washing in that I hadnt hung out yet, so I sat it on top of the washing machine and run a spin cycle.

So now how long should I leave it? I saw you say the longer I leave it to set the better the life of the mold, but how long is to long? :P
Barn
User

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling