[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Postby blind pig » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

The Stoner Rocket Release is almost as good in my experience, but smells terrible.

I guess you could use *really* small amount of vasoline, but using the talc until you can get a spray release will be fine.

BTW, to try and gauge how much silicone you need to fill a mould, use clean dry sand, sugar or salt to fill the mould to the desired level with the object to be cast, pour the sand, sugar or salt out into your mixing cup, mark the side of the cup, and then using that mark on the cup fill to that level with silicone. Clean the mould of any loose sand, salt or sugar. Mix catalyst with silicone as usual and pour into cleaned mould.

Hell, you could even use rice or small beans to do this.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Barn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Barn
User

Postby Barn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Barn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Barn
User

Postby Barn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:57 pm

Does this following description sound like what i need for the mould release?

'Silicone based mould release for urethane elastomers, rigid and semi rigid urethane foam and epoxies.'
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 pm

For those reading, Barn is looking at the following product: .

It's release spray alright. For the price it's certainly worth giving a go. There is the slight chance that it may react badly with the 4PU resin but there's no way to tell until you try it. It's silicone based so there should be no adverse effects on the mould.
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:21 am

Looks like it'd work.

I wonder what the hell this means?:

Odour: Slightly ethereal odour

:?
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Barn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:28 am

lol atleast now i'll be able to smell when a ghost is around, I will know what to look for!

Serious question: When, if at all, should I wash the silicone mould?
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:43 am

Never.
mangozac

Postby Barn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:51 am

Barn
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Wow... With one word Zac had the weight and might of an army.....

And on topic.... why would you need to wash them?? what is making you want to wash them??

I never wash nor rinse my resin molds BUT I do rinse off my dental plaster molds when they are messy... Are you doing something your not telling us??
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:50 pm

It's funny how one word responses can be so.... powerful!

I will note that on single part split moulds the release agent does tend to leave a build up in the split area which eventually causes a bit of flash on the cast. I simply wipe the excess release with a rag and it's all back to normal ;)
mangozac

Postby Barn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:25 pm

Yeah i had done a couple casts with the talc, but my mother got that mould release for me, so was wondering if i should wash between the different release agents.
Barn
User

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling