[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Seb's Resin dabbling
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Seb's Resin dabbling

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Seb's Resin dabbling

Postby Seb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi All

Well.. now I can open up the can on various projects I have done over the years, in a forum of like minded souls.

I became pretty well known internet wise with my Sheas'Shi, Naga'la and Gue'Vesa auxilaries back in the early days of the Tau Empire 1st Ed. Codex. A change from my work on the Scythes Space Marine army of Warhammer 40k franchise. So here, in one place, I'll showcase just what it took for me to put together all these goodies.

The Gue'vesa
My first project was the gue'vesa models. I quickly formulated some fairly obvious ideas on the direction, then decided on blending the Tau Helm and a Cadian helm after discovering both had exactly the same widths at the mould line. You can even see a Pulse Pistol idea there..
ImageImage

From here I used a local company to source my casting materials (Barnes Ultrasil 2-Part) and reproduced the modified helm quickly. In between casts, I modified the shins and pulse rifle hand-me-downs. All in all a relatively quick and simple introduction to resin moulding for me.

The Shea'shi
Along a similar vein to the Gue'Vesa, this centred around modifiying GW Beastmen Ungor heads and became the precedent for using them as a bases for even Tau bare head modifications. With some straight forward cutting and shaving, I rounded off the doggish looks and add greenstuff to accentuate others.

As you can see the initial cast had some air bubbles, which was easily corrected with a more astute second mould making effort. Again, simple stuff, which resulted in;

The Naga'la
I landed an article about my Tau force in White Dwarf and decided to do something additional to my modified armor and infantry. I've always liked the idea of Sauroid warriors and set about thinking up ways to create a squad of them; I quickly disliked the current edition Saurus warrior heads and sought out the previous edition's, more komodo-like heads.

With modifications sculpted on and various components blended to create a styled chest piece, I also worked with an eye to air channels and pouring direction. The most evident being the Head and Gun stick mounting;
Image Image

After one redo of the chest piece (which I poured and rolled as I closed the mould) I ended up with this initial squad all kitted out. Only the leader's head mount didn't make it through to painting. I also added crest booms for style and sweep. These were easily modified styrene rods.

Painted initially a grey blue, I then readdressed the collection in a brown grey and further more, added mottling to add a more reptilian edge to the finish.

So far, besides the odd piece for replication among other projects, my history with resin is small and limited. Hopefully this coming year I can begin to tackle some much larger projects!

One teaser is this Heavy Lifter Drone chassis I was working on before my travels;

Image Image

I had been surprised in earlier dry fits that the measurements, depth and general look is very very similar in scaling to a standard Gun Drone. So quickly using a standard GW flyer base, a 30mm disc base, with etching and blended cuts and some limited GS work, I cast these up to have a couple of dummy resin pieces already. First project for them is cargo hauling scene, part of a civilian line of project for Tau I'd like to complete. Just need to detail the underside some more really.

More when I return to my hobby desk!
Seb.
Last edited by Seb on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seb
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Seb's Resin dabbling

Postby paulson games » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:47 pm

On this lizard guy what if the front part of the weapon? Is it a Koto bit or something else?
paulson games

Postby Warhound » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Great work Seb and nice to see the theory behind the work.

The one thing I must say is that even though you have units of unique troopers here, I never realised that you were casting the parts up!

It truly shows the mark of an artisan when your work is that flawless and seamless to befuddle the senses!

(or I am just really naive;-)

Oh and one last thing- you never got around to posting the rear of the Shas'shi (Stealth Lion)- can you do so now?

Cheers

Warhound
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Look at that - Seb's dirty little secret is out! If only GW knew that the minis they have published in WD are actually resin copies! :o

I never could understand people spending the amount of money it would take on heaps of obscure GW bits to make whole squads of converted units. Now we know the answer - they don't!

I agree with use of the older skink heads - the new ones look silly. The old ones still aren't perfect but they're at least a little better.

Oh how I wish to see the heavy lifter drone complete! I have a secret drone fetish that I hope to unleash upon the world some day :oops:
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:31 pm

That's precisely why I started venturing into experimenting with catsing, too costly and difficult to locate the dozens of bits you need for conversions when working on full squads, especially now that GW bits service is now defunct.
paulson games

Postby Seb » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:42 am

Chuckle,

Yah, my dirty secret is out. This is why over time I sent PMs to you guys with regard Resin casting on ATT. Here.. well, I can let folks in on the realities. ;)

I'll post up a rear shot Mark, just on the run at the moment to spend a few minutes searching. I'm heading to the south coast for this weekend, so offline most likely for the next 48hrs.

The bit you are looking at Jon is actually from an Ork pistol, I soon gave up on this weapon in exchange for something "the Tau made for their auxiliary"

righto lads! See you after the break :D
- Seb
Seb

Postby Seb » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:52 am

Here is the requested rear shot;

The tail is blended onto the posterior, tucked up against the lower spine plates of the Tau legs. The piece itself is actually the pony tail from yet another Gor head part.

Fictional Reasoning :
I'm particularly proud of the sculpted hair style of this Shea'Shi, he has a cropped undercut with his longer locks (a cultural thing) tied back in a pseudo-samurai fashion.

Originally the Shea'shi wore their hair (a.k.a Mane) wild and crazy, but I felt some time around the more subtle Tau would cause them to tone it down a bit, though ensure they didn't lose their identity in the transition.

- Seb.
Seb

Postby freakinacage » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:03 pm

ineteresting stuff. love this gun:
freakinacage
Casual

Return to Modelling