Well after spending some more time pushing putty around over the weekend I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Decided to have a second attempt at the first pouch I did and it turned out much better.
You can see in this pic some of the new parts and completed original parts. The bag with the armour plate on it has been flipped over (it's mounted to the lone strip of styrene in the bottom row) and a strap system added to the back. The cylindrical shaped bit is supposed to be a water vapourator - it removes moisture from the air for drinking. Important when out in the field like this I think
I've also finished modifying the crouching pathfinder - he has a bit of sculpting for bits I had to file off when removing the original helmeted pathfinder head. Note that the pathfinder sculpts are at a smaller scale than the rest of the Tau, so the bare head is slightly too big IMO.
I also grabbed shots of the base plus the initial cut foam to form the hill. The base is just MDF and I'll be painting it black.
I've also decided that part of my accessory kit will be a new sniper rifle design. It'll be a big, beefy barrel with a large muzzle brake on the end
Oh yeah I can make that....