[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - More Battletech
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

More Battletech

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

More Battletech

Postby paulson games » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 am

I was happy to see Vaaish tackling some of the old battletech plastics, a fate I wouldn't wish on any man. ;)

Since I've pretty much dropped 40k I've gone back to playing a decent amount of battletech the renewed interest was also aided by the release of their 25th aniversary set. The game mechanics for the most part are the same, there's a few minor tweaks and some new weapon options but it feel like putting on an old comfortable pair of jeans.

We had a game planned for this weekend where each person would play a 100 ton assult mech, there's no rule in battletech that models have to follow WYSIWYG like in 40k but I wanted to convert a Daishi Widowmaker as it's a mech I make use of ocassionally and I never pass up a good excuse to modify stuff. So I pieced this together for the game and should be painting it up over the next couple weeks. (me paint??? shocking I know ;) )

I still need to add a pair of medium lasers on the torso but I replaced the arm weapons and added the ultra autocannon to the torso which is just so much killy goodness. Shame I could barely manage any hits in our game with it, but when it does hit it punches really hard. :)

For the paint scheme I prefer militray drab on my mechs, I'm looking at doing a dessert tan on this one as it'll give a good contrast with black and dark green detail areas. A lot of battletech players like loud colors and patterns for their mechs but that just doesn't sit well with me as theya re supposed to be walking tanks and military stuff tends to be very dull and functional rather than in your face.

I primed this with painters choice spraypaint which I think does a pretty good job, you just have to watch the thickness as it builds up fast but overall it does a bang up job and is a fraction of the cost of hobby primers. ($3 a can) I need to go in and remove a couple small flakes and grit particles and I can get to painting.

Back around 1995 FASA got sued over the rights to a lot of their original mechs and had to stop making them. They had been liscensing the designs from a 2nd party company that went under and later found out that they no longer had a valid agreement with the parent company in Japan. They'd been in court for the better part of 12 years involving the designs and Mechwarrior games, in the end they had to stop producing a significant portion of the old mechs which are iconic for much of the game. (and sadly most of my favorite mechs)

I've not really keen on most of the new designs so I've been cleaning up a lot of my old minis, many are in lead if that gives a good idea of just how old they are. Even back in the day it was pretty hard to get some of these as I was 12-18 years old and was limited to what the local store could stock. The popular mechs were tough to get as they'd always sell out and there wasn't online options like there is nowdays so to me the older mechs are worth their weight in gold. I have a pretty extensive collection but as everyone knows there's always room for more little men ;)

I've been messing around with cleaning up some of the better condition minis to get them in useable shape, a difficult task as 20 years ago when I was a kid a shoebox was a perfectly acceptable container and many of them have some badly rounded out and dented details as a result. Things were so simple when I wasn't such a hobbysnob ;)

An assault lance of warhammers, I'll be painting these up likely in Draconis Combine colors. So far all that's done was glueing the parts on, I'll be cleaning up the minor amounts of flash before adding a layer of priming.

Last edited by paulson games on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: More Battletech

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:01 am

That was a fun read Jon! I find many of the Battletech designs as take it or leave it, particularly with that real old school style. I'd love to see them based on some modern military mecha designs.

Look forward to seeing some paint!

I had a game of BFG on Saturday (got absolutely annihilated if you must know) and it sounds like there will be a bit of a resurgence here. So I might end up doing a bit more painting too!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:06 am

Wow... those turned out awesome... I now look sadly back at the warhammer, archer, shadow hawk, and wolverine I have yet to clean and the rifleman I've determined as unsalvageable. For mine I'm looking at painting them in the scheme of the 14th Donegal Guards. I like the deep turquoise and it doesn't offend my sensibilities with mechs. It's either that or the Ryuken-Roku which also have a turquoise that is accented with a dark red/brown.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:43 am

Last edited by paulson games on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 am

if you've got extras, I wouldn't mind skipping the plastics for the remaining mechs as I'm fairly concerned with the durability with handling. It's pretty much ended my idea to cut off the torso and keep them locked together using magnets so that torso twists can be represented more easily.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 am

One of the guys at the games club operates an online store () and brings a heap of stock to the club days to make sales. I've known him since he worked for a long gone bust local indie. He was saying that the best thing he ever did was diversify from GW - he doesn't bring any GW products to the club days any more.

Personally I think that is saying something. Especially considering the fact that out of the 6 to 8 games I saw running there wasn't even one hint of 40k, which used to be the staple game when I was a club regular a few years ago.

Anyway sorry for the thread hijack. Resume your discussion of Battletech! :)
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:02 am

I was digging through my case for useable models and took pics of these before they head off to soak in thinner and be stripped. Talk about a vist in the way, way back machine!

Most of these I painted between 15 and 20 years ago (OMG!) The extent of my only painting tech back then was blacklining and drybrushing, but the one thing I could do well was freehand (and without a magnifier) I don't think I can get anywhere near that steady of a hand nowdays.

These are all a bit chewed up from being in a shoe box with no padding and all sitting on top of other minis.

Battle Master

Ward's Madcat (Khan of Clan WoIf)

Catapult & Converted Catapult, an innersphere version of a Madcat

Wasp

Mekton RPG guys, not battletech but are way cool. Very limited run on these guys before they stopped production due to Ral Partha going belly up as part of the FASA lawsuit fallout. (now they are Iron Wind Miniatures) Very tough to find but fortunately I now know a guy who can make them in resin. ;)

Last edited by paulson games on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games

Postby paulson games » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:52 am

Last edited by paulson games on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulson games

Postby Xeones » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 am

Looks good Paulson --way better the plastics we're working with right now. :!:

Most of my favorite 'mechs are Clan designs but that's partly because I was introduced to Battletech through the MW2 computer game. Regardless, you're making the old stuff look good!
Xeones

Postby paulson games » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Did a bit of gaming tonight and wrecked up my friends mech lance pretty good, at some point we're going to have to start playing a campaign or at least tracking kills so I can maybe improve my pilots.

It got me fired up to do some painting. I decided to go with a red and dark grey theme for my crusader. There was a model kit for the revel robotech line that had a deep red veritech and I always thought it was awesome. Solid red at this scale would look rather flat so I decided to ape the armored valkyrie's paint scheme but use red instead of the standard blue.

(Armored valkyrie is in the lower left and is the design the crusader is based of of)

The paint job is still in the early stage but I've hit a bit of a roadblock as I pretty much suck at reds and I'm not sure where I want to go from here. Drybrush? Washes? Highlights? The scale on these models is vastly differant from normal 32mm stuff and is much more in line with epic so I want to give it a sense of weight and size, I'm not sure what technique would best suit that.

The camera makes everything look really shiny due to light pools, the paint is scab red so it's fairly dark and a bit flatter than the pic looks. (it still shiny enough the whole model is going to need some dull coat) The grey is P3 great coat grey and is a bit darker, with a slight bluish green tint. The recesses/blacklining are of course chaos black.

The model is perfectly fine for a tabletop level and it's probably leagues better than most mechs that are played as Btech minis tend to look attrocious, but I'd like to up this one's paint a bit further.

If any of the painting gifted people here have any suggestions I would be most grateful.

The two face lenses are painted a light blue that fades to a white on the right side although in this shot is almost looks the same color as the gradiant image behind the model.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Funny you mention the red - I've been wondering how to spice up the red on the prow of the Zeus CL I'm painting.

I'm not exactly painting gifted, but I reckon simple edge highlighting would really make the mech pop. Perhaps some simple weathering would be in order also?
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:31 pm

Well... red is a fairly rough color to highlight effectively. If you look over at the epic damocles I did last week, it has the same base color as the mech you've got up there. To get a good highlight it seems to work better to use htescab as a midcoat color and shade with a delvan mud or sepia wash and then highlight the extreme edges with white before doing a selective blood red wash to tint the white highlights red. alternatively if you want a brighter red, you can highlight with a nice orange.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:43 pm

I've never played this game before, I've always thought the models were cool though. Is this 15mm?

factor40
Habit

Postby paulson games » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:49 am

The model is about 50mm tall. They tend to range between 40-60mm typically, the models are usually in a fairly static posistion so they fit on 30mm bases otherwise a few would need a 40mm base. The infantry is about 8 mm in height so it's fairly close to epic scale.

Now that it's daylight I reshot the pic which should be closer to the actual color, the light I was using last night made it look really bright and glossy. Red also seems to give my camera fits. I also set one of the infantry figures on the base to show their scale.

As far as the grey areas any suggestions? And for the high lights (either color) should I just highlight all the outer edges of the armor panels or try something to give it a look like it is directionally lit?
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:09 am

totally up to you. I started out doing that when I took up painting, but I've gradually been moving toward a mixed approach where the edge highlights are only used to emphasize areas or less contrasted highlights are used lower on teh model to add depth while keeping the sense of shadow. See the the epic warlord I painted a low key example and the damocles rhino radar dish for an example of the later.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Next

Return to Modelling