[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - BFG Fuel Transport
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

BFG Fuel Transport

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

BFG Fuel Transport

Postby mangozac » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:44 pm

The now out of production BFG Imperial freighters are in my opinion some of the most characterful ships available for Battlefleet Gothic. Don't ask me why; I just feel that they are! I recently picked some up and since there's only really two base models, I decided to make a third one: a fuel transport. Yes, I am aware that are available from Forge World, however they are a bit bigger and I just didn't like the look of them. Or maybe I'm just a hobby masochist - I wanted to do a conversion!

So I moulded one of the stock transports, made a resin copy and then proceeded to chop out the centre section. After a little bit of cleanup it was ready to have a fuel tank installed. The main tank was made from a piece of styrene tube which had its ends capped with 1mm styrene sheet. I used my lathe to turn it into a perfect cylinder before chamfering the ends. The ribs were added using some thin styrene strip and the details along the bottom from small diameter styrene rod.

I had planned to either cut or pressmould the aquilas from something like a Space Marine bolter but since I've long since cleaned out any such marine stuff I had I couldn't actually find any! I could have scabbed some of a friend but I wanted to get the project finished this weekend, so I sculpted them myself. It would have been nicer to sculpt one and then pressmould a duplicate from it, but alas that would also have taken more time so the two aquilas (one on each side) are slightly different in size.

All in all it turned out very nicely indeed. I'll cast up a couple more and then all I need is to actually get some games of BFG that use transports in!
Next up: painting (but don't hold your breath...).

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: BFG Fuel Transport

Postby Fleafa » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:30 pm

I love this. Nice and simple, but great looking. I'd really like to see a photo of all your BFG stuff, or all the sculpts anyway. I get the impression you have quite a selection!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm afraid it wouldn't be a very pretty picture - whilst I am starting to amass a lot of various BFG stuff, only a small portion is painted and a lot of it is in various states of converted-ness. I'll try to remember to grab a photo some time though ;)
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:16 am

very nice :) This and the admech prows you slipped in under the radar :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks mate. Yeah I don't know why I didn't post about the prows :!:
mangozac

Postby Seb » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:27 am

Looks great Zac, and I too have always liked the freighters in BFG. All these battleships and no star lane traffic.

In part it was why the team over on ATT dreamt up the unsung heroes Challenge, to get people thinking outside the box and make something unique and curious and not the usual gun toting uber-suit.

So many ideas for BFG flotsam. :D

- Seb.
Seb

Postby Vaaish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:48 pm

This ATT talk reminds me that there are no Tau transport models. That might be something to look into :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Because I don't have enough to do! ;)

Would you prefer to see something in FW or GW style? Honestly I don't think you can get much more obscure than a BFG Tau Transport: a seldom used ship for an alternate fleet of one of the less used races in a game that has little official support...... :P
mangozac

Postby Seb » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Wow, it's depressing just reading that sentence Zac... :cry:

Tau have a single freighter type (official) not much else besides. It is true however, sticking to something marketable.

- Seb
Seb

Postby Vaaish » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:58 am

Well, GW Tau is one of the top level competitive fleets and several of scenarios require transports which means you'll probably see tournament fleets needing them :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:39 am

mangozac

Postby Seb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Seb