[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vorro's bitzbox
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vorro's bitzbox

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Vorro's bitzbox

Postby Vorropohaiah » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:14 pm

EDIT: not sure if its a forum feature to not show full pics, though i dont have smaller res ones available so these will have to do, sadly

hey all :) thought id post up some pics of my past and current projects. looking at other threads, ive noticed that there doesnt seem to be a problem with posting pics of parts cast from commericially available models that have been converted in some form. if thats a problem, let me know and ill take down such offensive pics.

anyway, onto the show.

here are my marines:

ill start with the more recent stuff; the Terminators. these are artscale models and stand about 52mm tall (thats pretty big) and arent intended for gaming per-se (even so what would i use to represent 52mm terminators on a tabletop - theyre the same height as a dreadnought!) anyway. the bodies and legs are scratchbuilt, while the arms are made from extending the GW terminator arms and bulking them out, so are about 50% GS.the heads are converted from normal plastic terminator heads and cast. i mreally pleased with these, though i know quite a few people dont like the proportions, especially the arms. though i based them on my fave of contemporary GW artwork which seems to depict marines with large legs and short arms, which i love for some reason.

here are some scale pics of other models. as this isnt the gallery i wont clutter it with other pics:

my orks:
i cant remember the amount of ork armies ive had over the years and this is my most recent (well, was, its been sold now, though i still have lots of commissions lined up, both to go alongside the army and others)

anda big walker im working on at the moment that's still wip:

well, that's about it for now. C&C more than welcome
Vorropohaiah
Casual

Re: Vorro's bitzbox

Postby Warhound » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:30 pm

My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vorropohaiah » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:51 pm

no special equipment for the resin yet. just alumilite rubber and resin. im looking for some better resin. ive heard good things about smooth-on though havent been able to find it locally yet.

ive had some problems with airbubbles though truth be told i can tell most of them are just my inexperience with making good folw channels, in/exit channels, undercuts etc. as i do more im sure ill get better. i do plan on getting a pressure pot at some point, especially if i start casting up my original stuff (assuming its good enough to warrant the treatment :p)

also if i can ask - is the issue with big pictures a concious move, or something the forum does automatically? perhaps posting links to the PB account is better
Vorropohaiah
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:55 pm

Hey Vorro and welcome to our little corner of the internet. It's great to have you here!

All of your work is really great, and whilst your sculpting definitely caught my eye, I see your styrene skills are also top notch ;)

OK the pictures thing is actually to do with the forum itself - in order to preserve the layout, images that are too wide are automatically cropped to width. I did do the [ rimg ] bbcode tag as a quick hack but it only works for images with a 4:3 aspect ratio. But I have a solutions: I just stumbled across mod that will automatically resize any image too big to fit. I'll install that ASAP (maybe not tonight as I have some pressing work matters to sort out).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:18 pm

I am a coding warrior.

I spent the bulk of the day programming a speaker recognition system project at uni. We presented it to the lecturer late this afternoon and even though it didn't work flawlessly, we got full marks due to my beautiful code.

I then had to come home and find out why the new prototype for a client was playing up. Software bug. Fixed.

I have just now looked for a simple little javascript mod to automatically resize images. It worked but when you clicked on them they opened them in a tiny little window. I hacked up the code to make it open in a fullscreen window (at least in Firefox anyway).

Sorry, I'm just feeling pretty happy with myself at the moment. I'll now return you to normal modelling discussion ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Vorropohaiah » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:19 am

only been here a few hours and already making a nuisance of myself :)

thanks a lot
Vorropohaiah
Casual

Postby Warhound » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 am

LOL!

Don't worry Vorro- part of the ironing out process;-)

To aid with your resin and silicone issue- I would recommend Tiranti (link in the resource pages)- they are value and the T20 silicone and Poly Bi-resin work wonders for me! Alumilite, I used for my first ever cast and while it was good flow, it set way too quickly and you got nothing for your money!

For US supplies- perhaps Paulson can help? (puts out the bat signal;-)
I hope that helps?

cheers
W
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Wolfs16 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:00 am

These are fantastic Vorro! When I first started 40K and heard about True Scale Marines, yours was the first tutorial I found and honestly the coolest one. If I was ever going to do anything with Space Marines, they would have to be true scaled. And those Orks look amazing! The scaling fixes their proportions and truly makes them look menacing instead of silly.

One question though. I struggle with plasticard since I can never seem to cut it properly and I find it very hard to make symmetrical patterns. Any advice you can give a novice? What techniques do you use to get the desired results with plasticard?

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby Seb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 am

Brilliant work, I particular admire the Freebooter Kaptain. The lads are well versed in the casting tips, so I'll leave that talk to them. Just have to say your scratch building is class work. Welcome to RA :)

- Seb
Seb

Postby paulson games » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:58 pm

This is some great work, and the casting look nice.

I started out with the Aluminite stuff and teh silicon works well but the resin is on the thick side and it's very hard to get smaller parts to come out well. I've been using Micromark resin and it's much thinner and flows a lot smoother. I use the CR-600 which has a 7 minute working life and a 30 min demold. This gets a really big thumbs up from me.

They also have a 300 has a 3 minute working life and a 15 min demold.

Mircomark's silicone is a bit weaker than the aluminite stuff but it's cheaper and sets up in only 4 hours as opposed to 24hours, the other upside is it's an equal 1:1 mix so you don't need to mess around with mixing ratios. I works quite well for most projects.

The one thing to avoid is the micromark dye, it works horrible and the resin just doesn't cure properly. Aluminite brand dye however works amazingly well and just a tiny drop worth of black dye in 2+ oz of resin will turn it a spot on GW color grey.

I've been looking to try the platinum silicon from Tap Plastics as it' looks really good and has a 2 hour set up time and looks far more flexible and durable than the stuff alumilite puts out.
paulson games

Postby Sha'Vaun » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 am

What a coincidence! Two days ago a friend of mine send me a link to your thread on warseer. You are to blame that he nearly started a new ChaosSpaceMarine army :) … , but we both managed to pull your socks up and adjourn this pipe dream to another day :D

Real size SpaceMarines are basically nice, but real size pre-heresy SpaceMarine are awesome.
Your Orks are also amazing and your Meganobz are top notch. Some time ago I also started something similar like your Kapt'n, but I think that I forgot the miniature at home. (Oh boy. I have only been here for three minutes and I already can feel the itching of my tinker nerve :) )

-Sha'Vaun
Sha'Vaun
Casual

Postby CMDante » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 am

Those terminators are indeed wonderful!

It's so nice seeing proper art-like marines and terminators rather than the skinny minnies (mini's? :P ) we normally see!

Love the freebooters too, very cool!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
Casual

Return to Modelling