[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vaaish converts a AOBR Dread.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish converts a AOBR Dread.

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Vaaish converts a AOBR Dread.

Postby Vaaish » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:18 pm

This is mostly just a place holder since the current state is a little embarrassing to post. (mostly chopped out the front and started rebuilding it. I'll post an in progress shot as soon as the center torso is more progressed.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Re: Vaaish converts a AOBR Dread.

Postby mangozac » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:51 pm

I was seriously disappointed with the AoBR dread - so much so that I sold mine off immediately. So I'm very interested to see what you do with this ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vaaish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:30 am

Well at the rate I'm going, there will be bits of plastic left that originally came from the AOBR dread... I'm hoping to get the center torso nailed down by the end of the week to detail it next week. Should get some pics up by then.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Warhound » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:32 am

What is it that you are trying to achieve? Make it venerable? Weapon swaps?

I am curious!

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Vaaish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:37 am

I'm aiming to make it a venerable dread that I can also swap out arms to turn into an ironclad. Beyond that, I've never been happy with the proportions on the standard dread or the sarcophagus block. I also don't much like the way the mkiV sticks the head out so far since it makes the dread feel fat.

Basically I'm redoing the center torso and forward shoulder armor, adjusting the top center, part of the hips, lengthening the legs, and adding heavier plating.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:17 am

Ok have actual pics this time. :) I've nearly completed the front torso, just have some GS gap filling and sculpting on a few joints and I'm trying to decide if I really want the cartouche in the middle.

I'm also a little stuck on what to put on either side of the aquilla on the lower torso. I'm thinking of perhaps adding some tubes or armor plate. After that it's finishing up the casing above the head and the shoulder armor before moving to the legs.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Warhound » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:37 am

VAAISH!

This tremendous 'card work! No pencil marks, No burring, no glue stains- how the hell did you do this!? :shock:

The marine dreadnought is one of my favourite pieces from the mind of Jes, let alone GW and so I always feel that anyone tampering with it are on a hiding to nothing- but this is very interesting :D

Any chance of a WIP as you progress?- tools, approach etc?

Is that a Titanicus warlord head I see also? ;)

What details will you fill the blocks with? I would suggest 3 pipes coming from the 'belly' of the main torso and then bending into the interior side plates- akin to the archtype design- it just needs some tech detailing in the area I think:-)

The waist area is a great redesign too- very intuative!

Great for a log!

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:14 am

Wow. Just jaw-droppingly amazing styrene work!

Pipes in the blank areas sounds good. You could try some sensors in there but it might be a bit overdoing it as there are sensors on the lower areas of the outer panels. What about pipes/hoses on one side and a vent piece on the other?
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:08 am

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:42 pm

More progress on the dread, I believe I've got the front center torso and top done except for detailing which I can't do until I finish the shoulder armor. If all goes well that will be done by the end of the week.

overall I think the tubing worked pretty well despite the trouble the GS gave me on a few of the tubes.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Nice work with the GS tubes - I'd have tried to find some fat solder wire before resorting to GS ;)

I'd have liked to see a little asymmetry in there but that's just me.
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 pm

This is some excellent plasticard work so far, I'm very impressed.
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:40 pm

Thanks, I'd have preferred to use something other than GS as well, but I didn't have anything in the house I could get into the shapes I needed.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:49 am

after much time lapse due to going out of town for a weekend and having to get my installation thrown together for my grad class, I'm back with the completed torso. It would probably look nicer with a bit of primer to help me find any remaining gaps but for now I think I'm ready to move on to the legs. I'll be redoing the shin armor, extending the leg length, adding groin armor, and adding armor to the tops of legs before moving on to finish up the modifications to the arms and finally getting ready to paint.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:32 am

Wow very nice work on the curved armour plates! As usual your styrene work is top notch. The only problem now is that you're going to have to give the shoulders the same treatment so that they don't look out of place!
mangozac

Next

Return to Modelling