ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish converts a AOBR Dread.

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Vaaish converts a AOBR Dread.

Postby Vaaish » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 am

I may end up filing it later after I see how the center torso paints up. The torso has a hard edge near the sensors at the bottom that should match the hard edge on the arms, but I'm going to hold off since it's a whole lot easier to remove plastic than rebuild the edge later.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:29 pm

It's been quite some time since I've dreadged up this thread, but since this is for the dreadnought, I figured what the heck!
I've never been fond of the TLAC arm from forgeworld and having some extra IG autocannons laying around I decided to make my own. Unfortunately, the ammo drum on the bottom got slightly off true when I was gluing it and I wasn't able to pop it off. The other bits that might seem off are caused by the perspective distortion on the shoulder as it angles back. They are actually true.

I'm also about half way through painting up some epic marine bikes... and by some I mean 10 stands of three bikes and three attack bikes. I'm hoping for the end of the week with them and I'll post an update when they are done.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Is that a resin cast of the shoulder you guys scratchbuilt? It looks way cooler than the FW Dreadnought autocannon! Actually, looking now most of the FW weapons look a bit lacking...

Are you planning to cast copies of the entire weapon?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Warhound » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:45 pm

oOH Now thats just bad ass!

Yes, it could be tidied up a little (Green stuff on the back), but otherwise, I love that you hollowed out the shoulder and then bastardised the weapons to fit!

Really nice work! Oh, and the painting looks great!

Keep up the great work!

WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vaaish » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:18 am

Thanks, It's not actually a cast of the shoulder. Since I'm using the forgeworld assault drills as a basis for my seismic hammer conversion, I don't need the shoulder casement because the weapons are left handed. I pulled that bit and found that it was a perfect fit for the IG autocannons. This one is a little rough since I was mostly figuring things out as I went so I'd not planned on casting it. I have a second shoulder bit and I'll probably work that one up to be tidier though I don't really need any more based from this shoulder style.

I basically made this since the shoulder bit is thinner and slightly lower than the bit we based our shoulder from and matches the look of plasma cannon arm better than the bulkier ones.

the back is actually smoother than it looks. It got the marbled look from sculpting it in multiple layers and sanding it back to flat in some areas. I'll run some putty over it to make sure before it gets painted though.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby dark_gear » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 am

Good god man!

If your goal was to show off your modelling skills I'm thinking you're even taking that intent a little far.

What I thought was brilliant work on the Dread's central torso has now revealead itself to be just a warm-up for the main body work. This is realistically some of the cleanest plasticard work I've seen outside of the Ma.K or Gundam forums. Truly inspiring. If you could actually include some more process pics for your work however it would be much appreciated since I have no idea how you went from flat card and bare Dread to the masterpiece you show us. Other than that I can't really comment since your styrene skills outstrip mine by quite a few notches ;).

Cheers,

Dark_Gear
dark_gear
Casual

Previous

Return to Modelling