[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - XV-8 Customs
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

XV-8 Customs

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: XV-8 Customs

Postby Warhound » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:48 pm

Oh, you are good! 8-)

Not that it really mattered with the different coloured resins, but this does make it look sweet and so identical to FW casts!

I cant wait to get them all back!;) (No fair that you get to paint one first, but that's the price I have to pay I guess;) )

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby paulson games » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Finished my base work for the xv-9 and the cast came out quite well.

Original made from dark age games bases and gravel:

Cast:
First pics is primed, 2nd & 3rd are witha very quick black wash to show detail better.

With XV-9 Pinned in place:

I'll be using cast copies of this base for each of my suits so they'll match the current theme for my other suits which are being mounted on 40mm & 50mm dark age games bases. They didn't have 60mm dreadnought bases available so I had to make my own. :D
paulson games

Postby Wolfs16 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:40 pm

The base looks great! I really like the way you positioned the rubble. It looks realistic and the model is realistically posed on it. Great work!

You mentioned that you made the entire base yourself? 50mm seems like a good size for the XV9. What is the standard base size that came with it?

I think that would work really well for some large Broadsides I'm making. Do you know where I can get 50mm sized bases, or should I try and make my own?

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby paulson games » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:30 pm

The original bases I used are from dark age games but I did some cutting so everything would fit on a single base.

The standard base that the xv-9 comes with is a 65mm dreadnought base.

After I get the castings done for personal use I'm going to produce a bunch of these until the mold wear out. May toss a few up on ebay or batertown etc.

As far as bases I love the dark age games stuff, I also carry them through my store and I'll have them up on my website when I relauch it in Jan. The DAG website is kinda crappy and I have problems navigating it, you can find pics of all their various bases in the coolminiornot store or on ebay or warstore etc. The only downside is their stuff is only available in 30,40,50mm sizes and there's very few quality 60mm bases so I hacked together this base from a 50mm DAG base and a pair of their 30 mm ones that I trimmed to fit.

The DAG stuff is designed to fit into the recessed top of rounded shoulder bases which they also sell and are identical to the privateerpress bases. (which I'll also be carrying) Custom built bases are usually quite cheap, but premade resin bases also save time. You can also glue them down on standard GW bases but they usually need a bit of filing around the edges.

I used the 50mm base on my commander model, it's kinda hard to see so I'll post some clearer pics up soon. For the regular suits I'll be using 40 mm bases, I just like putting HQ models on larger more scenic bases.

I'm looking at producing my own bases once I get caught up on my current projects. The space hulk tiles are next and then hopefully bases.

This suit is mounted on a 50mm DAG base so it's slightly larger than the normal terminator base.

Edit:

Size comparisons the lower set of bases is privateer press or DAG generic round shoulder base

Differance in the edging GW vs Privateer

GW Dreadnought vs 50mm base

Here's a couple pics of the various DAG bases.
Generally retail prices at:
30mm (3) $5.99
40mm (2) $4.99
50mm (1) $2.99

Last edited by paulson games on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games

Postby CMDante » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:23 pm

Working on some bases as a comission for someone looking to cast and sell in US at the moment so those pics are helpful inspiration.

On the suits, loving how they are turning out, very dynamic and super sleek lines. Can't wait to see them painted.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
Casual

Previous

Return to Modelling