[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - FDV1 Mako
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

FDV1 Mako

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

FDV1 Mako

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:17 pm

OK well as everybody knows I love my mecha so when I saw that Fil Dunn, creator of awesome Tau mecha kitbashes was releasing his own kit I just had to have one! The FDV1 Mako kit is pricey but it has a cool dieselpunk style going on and is really massive at 9" tall.

I was lucky enough to receive kit number 4 of the initial limited edition run (of 25 kits). It arrived just before Christmas in this cool box:
Mako Box.jpg

Here's a shot of the contents:
Mako Contents.jpg

So over the Christmas break I did some cleanup and as much assembly as I could do before painting (it's best to leave all of the armour panels, etc. off for ease of painting). Sorry but I don't have a pic of that for you.

One thing I did decide however is that I'm not a big fan of the fact that it doesn't have a right arm (take a look at to see what I'm talking about). Instead it has a drum containing a sensor suite (as described by Fil himself), which although it makes sense, just doesn't do it for me visually. Although Fil has toyed with the concept of a version with a gun on each arm in the future! But because I'm a hobby masochist I've decided to scratchbuild a right arm for it. More to come on that in a future post.

My one big complaint with the kit is the leg design. Fil has proven he can design cool mecha legs in the past but the legs on this one are just odd. They certainly don't look very functional and leave the model in a perpetual "taking a dump" pose. I don't know if some reposing would help, but the legs are intended to be assembled in one position only, so reposing would be a real bitch.

Highlight of the kit: that armour plate around the gun arm shoulder. Man it's sexy! Although really the entire gun arm is a pretty nice design ;)

Watch this space!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: FDV1 Mako

Postby FearGFX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 pm

The FDV1 is HUGE!!!
Im looking forward to his smaller (and cheaper) brother, the FDV4 Mako.
Now featured with 2 arm mounted guns, and possibly later a shoulder mounted (already seen the prototype which is AWESOME!!!) I also heard that he's working on some support drones for a future heavy assault or siege variant.

BTW, the FDV4 Mako (aka the mini Mako, if you can call 3.5" mini) is up for sale and the first models where shipped out last week!
FearGFX
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 am

The FDV1 is huge! I was a little disappointed that he elected to remake it in the smaller scale rather than do something new, but I can understand the reasoning.
mangozac

Postby FearGFX » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:40 pm

It was done on request by, among others, myself to be completely honest.
I loved the look and feel of the Mako, but i didn't have the funds to put 120 pounds on the counter for a single model. The new model has the same look and feel (although its not as big) and comes with more weapons. AND its affordable! and thats a great thing in my book!
FearGFX
Casual

Postby FearGFX » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 pm

I got my hands on a FDV4 Mako (the small version) and i keep a facebook gallery updated with the progress. If you check it out and like it pls let me know ;)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 665a138a57
FearGFX
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:27 am

Nice work! I'll have to get around to painting my one some day...
mangozac

Return to Modelling