[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Project log: Warhound Titan
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Project log: Warhound Titan

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Project log: Warhound Titan

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:52 am

Yeah that's a good idea! In any case the potholes and larger gaps will have some light coloured gravel added into the bottom to represent the asphalt base.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:48 pm

mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Im lost on the concrete Buddy as Those are the same options I would say. only other thing is MAYBE some wood glue and fine sawdust mix used as a thin spackle but That would be extremely messy and I doubt worth the troubles.

Maybe lightweight Hydrocal casting?? its super light but not durable, so be careful if you use it. you should be able to get it at RR stores Easy.

And Ace find with the Road. Im LOVING that Idea and look and have bookmarked that for my own use.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:39 am

Yeah, hydrocal is pretty commonly available. But the weight of plaster isn't the determining factor; it's just the amount of screwing around needed to make all of the formwork and everything to cast it into. Woodglue and sawdust is another idea, but really not much different to the impasto gel.
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:08 pm

I've been doing some more work on the Warhound project of late. The last fortnight has seen some major work on the base. All of the plaster work is done (I'm using Hydrocal tinted with a little black paint) and has been cleaned up (scraping and sanding). I also scribed all of the details into the concrete and then laid the asphalt. The asphalt is a mix of plaster, fine sand, PVA and black acrylic (I just used cheap discount store acrylic and ran out of it near the end). It's actually really difficult to smooth out properly and once it's dried properly I'll give it a bit of a smooth out ;)

Here's some progress shots:

Two things I felt were necessary for the road and guttering were a stormwater drain and a sewer manhole cover. More Inkscape and CNC work have facilitated some pieces I'm really pleased with:

Painting the Warhound is coming along nicely. All of the blue is done (except the legs, which haven't been primed yet because I've been playing around with them sorting out the base and don't want to damage the paint in the process). I decided to have a go at doing a marbled effect on the blue armour plates by mixing a little white with the blue colour and spraying it on in wavy lines (with the airbrush set at a very low pressure), but it was a bit too light and contrasted too much. So I had to spray a thin coat of the base blue colour over the top to dull the marbling down a bit...

I masked off the metallics that had already been done so that they didn't get tinted blue from overspray:

Here's a shot showing the pre-shading on the head armour plating. It's since been painted yellow, but I haven't grabbed a pic of it yet. The pre-shading works really well with light colour like yellow!

I'm currently working on the brass banding and it is officially the most boring part of this entire project! It takes forever and requires two coats to get a good coverage (you can see what just one coat looks like on the torso armour plate).

mangozac

Previous

Return to Modelling