[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - [BFG] Horizon paints resin ships and other ships.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

[BFG] Horizon paints resin ships and other ships.

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Re: [BFG] Horizon paints resin ships and other ships.

Postby horizon » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:33 pm

Prow eagle needs some more attention.

Ofcourse, a copy of an existing scheme. :) Sheep was okay with it. :)

Oh, I also did the drop test. Not with an iPhone, Samsung Note or Motorola X but with above model. Drop height about 150cm.

Result: no damage, no paint chip.
Conclusion: good glue, well crafted resin. Resin Addict got a stamp of approved.
horizon
User

Postby Malika » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:18 am

Wow, looking really good! I should really send you some test prints once I've got them! :D
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby horizon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:39 am

Thanks. Would happily paint some test models for you.
horizon
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Great work, Horizon! It turned out great, but I do have one comment: I think the prow overall is too bright. It does not feel as weathered as the rest of the ship. Perhaps applying some dark washes in a kind of "filter" style would tone it down appropriately?

By the way, the style Sheep used was inspired by the work of my friend Seb:

Glad to hear it survives the drop test seal of approval :P
I'm pretty pleased with the properties of the resin that I use. Not too brittle...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby horizon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:01 pm

Hey,

yeah, the red is rather bright in those pictures, in real life it is a little less bright. But since I still need to improve the gold (especially shading) I can take a look into it.

I can see the inspiration from Seb's models indeed.
horizon
User

Postby Vaaish » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:09 am

For gold I hit on a happy accident when I was painting that Reaver last year. Start out with a mix of black and Balor brown (or similar color) for the undercoat. This should be a fairly dark green-brown-gray. Then do a layer over it avoiding the crevases with balor brown and a touch of gold. For the next layer just use straight gold and for the highlights mix a bright silver like Mithrial in to it and hit edges sparingly.

It gives a really nice weathered gold.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby horizon » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:22 am

horizon
User

Postby horizon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:37 am

Yeah. Blindhorizon vessels are done, pictures to be made. I think they ended up pretty neat.
And I managed to get my hands on an Eldar shadow plus two Hellebores. With that I completed the CE fleet. :)
horizon
User

Postby horizon » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:51 am

Hey all,
Christmas brought goodies. And with that an oppurtunity to do some quick comparision shots:

Top: GW Imperial Navy Apocalypse Class Battleship
Middle l.t.r.: GW Adeptus Mechanicus Lunar Class, Helian Dreadnaught, GW IN Tyrant, Helian Firedrake, Zeus cruiser
Low l.t.r.: GW Eldar Shadow Cruiser, FW Tau Protector, FW Space Marine Strike Cruiser, BlindHorizon's Light Cruiser.

Some closer pics:
(Firestorm Armada Aquaian Destroyer added)

Good flight into 2015 all of you!
horizon
User

Postby RageofAchilles » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:43 am

Your new additions look very comfortable. Well worth it.

Yay 2015! can't wait to get my hover car and house robot lol.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby Malika » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:03 am

Man, if those cruisers are almost the size of a battleship, I'm really curious to see how a Battlegroup Helios battleship will be like! :D
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:59 am

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:26 am

Beefy? Hmm, interesting, since the cruisers seem to be a bit longer and sleeker than the BFG models.

However, something for supersized like , , or would be pretty sweet. Basically a 'dreadnought'!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:35 am

They're sleek and elegant true, but they're still the size of battleships, a size hidden behind the elegance of the lines and the balance of the hull. A battleship will likely maintain that elegance and balance, but it'll be larger still. If these are "capital ships", then a battleship will truly be a sight to behold!
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Vaaish » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:46 am

I'll have to take some shots when I get home myself. I'm a bit surprised at how large the Helian ships look in the shots. Including the prow ram on the GW cruisers, the Helian ships are a little under a cm longer which shouldn't put them into battleship range.

We do want the capital ships to exude more weight though so expect the BB to be beefy.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Painting