ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish Paints.... things....

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Vaaish Paints.... things....

Postby Vaaish » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 am

Well it looks like I won't be making much in the way of progress on painting with temperatures sub freezing here and no place to prime the models indoors. However I had gotten the lower half of the dread and the base primed before the cold spell hit and I spent my vacation over Christmas painting up at least that much. As soon as it gets warm enough, I'm planning on finishing this guy up, but for the moment here is the teaser for the lower half for your consideration. The hieroglyphics on the front say Sah Nesew khetef ankh djed, ie. the kings son of his flesh, living forever.

It seems the pics came out a bit contrasty on the metals... in life they aren't nearly so over the top.
Last edited by Vaaish on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Re: Vaaish Paint's dreadnoughts

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:52 pm

I thought you and Xeones were too far south for sub-freezing temperatures? I have the opposite problem of paints drying up too quickly in summer!

It's looking very pretty and the freehand hieroglyphics are highly impressive. Are you planning to introduce another colour on the torso to break up the muted feel of the earthy colours?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vaaish » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:42 pm

normally we are too far south for it to be a problem, but for the time being the temperatures have plumited.

Following my color guide for the chapter, I'll be mixing in some green on the model as well. Usually on the head and weapons, although there is a little at the bottom of "loincloth"
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Dominus Ex Machina » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Nice set of legs! :D I agree with mangozac, very impressive freehand! Looking forward to seeing the entire thing.

But what is that he is standing over? The small white thing between his feeet, it kinda reminds me of an armadillo :)
Dominus Ex Machina
Casual

Postby Xeones » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 am

The base that he used for this one is actually the standard base for an Eldar Warwalker. The bone-colored bit is supposed to be some sort of ruined Eldar gadget.
Xeones

Postby Warhound » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:10 am

oH, Now this is working out nice!

I love the smooth khaki, gold and red-ish tones, but am unsure how the green/s will interact- I guess time will tell....

Otherwise, possibly some zenithal highlights/ lighter edges would make it punch harder... not that it really needs that?;-)

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Vaaish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:05 am

Thanks, oddly enough there are highlights on there and it blends up to white on the toes and to a degree the tops of the armor plating on the legs. It even goes up to a harsh mithril silver on the extreme edges of the metals but it seems my lights kill all of that. I didn't take the top of the hips up very far though because they will be covered by the torso and need to be darker than the highlights above them.

to get an idea of how the rest of the army mixes in the green, here is a shot of one of my missile troopers:
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:35 am

Wow very nice smooth colors, what is your paint set for this? Vallego? ink washes?

As far as possible critique, maybe darken up the metals on the grin and butt area as it'd be heavily shadowed from the bulk of the dreadnought? Other than that I can't say much as my painting level is pretty deporable.

Looks great so far.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:06 am

I love the pose on that guy!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:14 am

I've been using only GW stuff to paint it. I'll see how things go one the torso is in place, I'm sure there will be things to tweak and darken at that point.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:47 am

Well the weather held last week and I got a good chunk base coated and ready to go so I'm good for the next week or so. I still have the arms left of this guy and I'm probably going to just leave the multimelta arm as is, though I'm thinking of adjusting the powerfist arm. I also just might leave it off entirely in favor of some forgeworld arms I've ordered (The MM is going to take a leave of absence for the plasma cannon once arrives. Also I'm trying to think what, if anything needs to go on the shin guard sides since my original idea will look funny with them angled as they are.

Xeones and I have also been working up a set of dreadnoguht shoulder blanks to cast as the basis for custom build autocannon arms and what ever else we might want to build, I'm attaching a shot of the constructions.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Still progressing nicely! The painting is really faultless and funnily enough the colour tones are making it feel quite placid, rather than the death-dealing sarcophagus it really is ;)

As with the Dreadnought conversion, your styrene work on the new arm blanks is very impressive. What's the reasoning behind custom built autocannons? Aesthetic?
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks, but it's not just my work on the arms, mostly Xeones measuring but the two of us constructing them, but to you question. Neither of us like the existing autocannon arms from Forgeworld and we have, I think, 6 IG autocannons laying around for such an event as this. Beyond that, since we are both going to construct our own seismic hammers for the ironclad part of the conversions we have planned, having the blanks makes it easier to build from.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Ahem... I guess it's not a dreadnought in the traditional sense, but hey, it IS a big freaking ship :)

This is the first time I've attempted to paint a stripe pattern on a BFG ship and likely the last time. Even with templates it's extremely time consuming and I'm not sure I even like the effect. It will work out alright once the prow is done though. Beyond that I've only got the final highlights to finish out the hull on both of these and it's on to detailing...

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Re: Vaaish Paints.... things....

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:52 pm

So how are the stripes done - using templates? I think they look good and they will look better once the prow and detailing are done. The prow itself is looking great!
mangozac

Next

Return to Painting