ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Chipped Metal Effect

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Chipped Metal Effect

Postby paulson games » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 am

I can't paint all that hot, although I aspire to one day. This was an article that was published in No Quarter Magazine about 3 years ago and I thought it was pretty interesting as it's a very good 3-d effect without cutting into a model or using salt chipping. Some of the better painters here I'm sure are familiar with this already and can do this, but thought I'd post it for the paint impaire people like me ;)

A lot of these techniques used to be found on www.brushthralls.com which is basiclly privateers in house modelling/painting crew. But looks like they removed a lot of the old articles. :(

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Chipped Metal Effect

Postby Dominus Ex Machina » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks a bunch for this! I'm working on some death guard terminators that I want to paint pre-hersy style and that is pretty much exactly the look I was going for, so I'll save this for future reference.

I've tried this technique before and there are many tricks you can use. I, for one, prefer to use a sponge for applying the basecoat for the chips, in this case the "pig iron", to get a random effect and very smal chips. It's not that hard really, but as they say in the article placement is key and I find that it's easily over done. I had a space marine army which I had weathered using this technique and once you get the hang of it it's easy :)

Again, thanks for sharing this!
Dominus Ex Machina
Casual

Postby paulson games » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:05 pm

I've seen people use the sponge effect to great effect as it give a ragged splotchy effect for the paint, some of the people I went to art school with used sponges and rags with watercolors to produce some really cool effects that you can't get with a standard brush.

The other technique I've read up on is salt chipping, where you do the base color and then hit the miniature with some hair spray and drop on chunks of rock salt while it's still wet. (very short working time, so usually multiple passes are required) the salt sticks to the hair spray and works as a mask while you air brush new overcoat layers.

Once everything is done you simply rinse off the model and the water breaks the bond between the hair spray and the salt. As the salt breaks away it gives a nice ragged pitted look where the under coat shows through.

By varying the grain quality/size of the salt you can get everything from really big chunks of pitted metal to stuff that looks finely worn by blown sand etc.

The salt chipping they do a lot of on model aircraft and tanks, it takes a bit more care when handling than using a brush on mask but it tends to give give a rougher more worn look. I've used salt chipping on some old fighter models and it worked great, although I've yet to apply it on any of my 40k models.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Then there's the salt-less hairspray technique I've read about where you paint the primer coat. Seal. Hairspray. Topcoat. Then use a toothbrush and water to scrub away. It gives more of a worn look rather than chipped though. And I'm not sure how well it would work on minis (Fichtenfoo has used it lots on vehicles and mecha).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 am

I have used the hairspray technique on dozerblades.

It is fun and really looks good.
blind pig
Junkie

Return to Painting