ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

±±S.A.W. Unit active..... Combat status: Authorised ±±

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Re: ±±S.A.W. Unit active..... Combat status: Authorised ±±

Postby Dominus Ex Machina » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:54 pm

I leave for two weeks and return to find THIS! :D

Very nice job so far, I know what you mean about photographing white but you can still see some of the shading.

I will keep an eye on this when I can, keep up the good work.
Dominus Ex Machina
Casual

Postby Warhound » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:19 am

so....

A little A-bomb has gone off in my personal life, hence the quite period on progress, but not one to want to keep you guys hanging on too long, here is the latest update....

As you can see I have been masking off areas to create as crisp and flat a panel colour as possible... for the main it has worked, but the rear as you will be able to see has had some seepage! :lol:

Not a major issue, as I can easily retro mask the area back in to regain the white..

What I am at odds with at the moment, is whether to go with a more asymetrical look.. at the moment I like certain areas, but feel I am missing a trick? I suspect that sept markings etc will address most of the issue- but what do you guys think?

I am now aimin to finish this by next weekend, and suspect that I may be a little quiet after this, as RL has really taken a bite of late! :cry:

SO, here you go!

Oh, and I would love to see Zac's face when he sees this.. it will be "what the...??!!!" in either regards I suspect :lol:

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:14 am

I certainly had an interesting expression on my face! You continue to do odd things with this kit that at first are confronting but then prove to be innovative and interesting.

I agree that some asymmetry would go down well - not too much, just a little bit.

Real life problems suck big time - I've just this week realised that my next couple of months will be a lot busier than I thought, so all projects are going to be pushed back a bit.

Sorry I don't have much more to say - I had a big night last night (a friend's 21st) so am not in the most eloquent state. I'll have another look later and see if I come up with anything.

Keep up the great work man, you're on the home stretch now!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Yannoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Pretty nice painting ! That's absolutely not what I've planned for mine, however it's still very instructive to see what you are doing. Keep on ! :D
Yannoo
Casual

Postby Warhound » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:07 am

Dodging lifes WOMD whistling past my head, a quick update comes in!

Been basically re-spraying some messy areas, adding some panels on the knees and installing some more asymetry back into the piece. I like the orange now (don't worry, it will go a lot more ochre!) and I have also started to add the panel lines. I hope to also add orange banding to the bottom of the ankles- thoughts? In addition the toes will also get a flat orange panel on the raised plate.

ANY thoughts, and suggestions are read and considered, I am literally just shooting through at the moment... ! :x

cheers
WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby Vaaish » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 am

one thing that sticks out to me is that most of the joints seem a little clean. I would expect the ball an socket joints on the legs to be bare metal or at least scratched up from rubbing as the joint moved rather than white like you have. I don't know if you plan on doing anything with them as you go or where you are headed at the moment.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Warhound » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:26 pm

yes, this is an area, that is yet to be tackled, but also undecided as to whether I should or not?

The issue that I have is, the unit is fresh off the production lines, and so should be as clean as possible all over, also the tech is based on gravatic and magnetic drives, so friction is kept to a minimum...

However, adding rub marks in and the odd bit of 'damage/ weathering, would help to create key areas of interest and break up the vast amounts of white...?

At the moment, the legs have barely been started, as all areas need to be panel lined, then all black areas washed and highlighted, then all panels edge highlighted, then fine detailing, transfers/ markings, THEN possibly weathering.....

Thoughts?

cheers
WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:26 pm

I love what you've done with the striping on top of the rear chassis. It's definitely what was needed there!

I'm with Vaaish - even with something factory fresh there are areas that will be either bare metal or slight wearing. I personally would have the balls painted a dark grey gunmetal colour, but the white works also. Even with all the super low friction coating technology all that weight is still going to cause some friction and paint simply won't hold up to it for too long. The ball joints will have experienced some slight paint wearing from just the initial walking trials so I think it needs to be depicted. It doesn't have to be worn back to bare metal but indication of that wear is definitely going to help in selling the realism.

Same goes for the legs: rub marks and even some wearing right through to metal around the foot are going to add character and realism. You don't have to go overboard; it's about the little fine details that will sell it.
mangozac

Postby Dominus Ex Machina » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:16 am

Granted, I don't own an aibrush so there might be an obvious answer, but why do you airbrush the orange and the grey areas over the white instead of painting them on, seeing as there's the risk of seepage and general mess?
Dominus Ex Machina
Casual

Postby Warhound » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:23 pm

Right guys,

this will be my last post for a few weeks on the walker as my life is STILL upside down!;-)

Anyway, to point out the key areas...

All orange panel now blocked in (may still add some to the legs)
All black areas have been shaded- just need highlighting (this will POP!)
Main Lenses have been painted to get an idea of the crisp technical nature of the beast
Transfers have been added. This I am really happy with- the 4 castes being acknowledged (this was built for the greater good after all;-) and then carefully places Tau sept symbols. I will be adding some script, danger signs etc as I work along.

The hips are still in need of some weathering/ damaging to show wear and tear, but after that, the main work to be done will be to chip the rest of the hull and then line highlight all white panel areas- this will help to lift the orange panels and separate the grey/ black areas.

Someone asked why I airgunned as opposed to hand painted- for the pure reason that a vehilce of this size works better when all large areas are as flat as possible to reflect the industrial nature of its build- big sheets sprayed and then bolted on.

Please let me know your thoughts!?

cheers
WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:58 pm

She's looking more and more awesome every time you post. Looking forward to the weathering stages, however far off they may be ;)
mangozac

Postby LordDirk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:07 pm

A real work of art. I love it! I like how you've made the model look suitably Tau without going into dangerous legal territory ;). I am really liking the paint-job as well, very clean, very stylish.

P.S. Sorry for my long absence, I will try and post more often.
Animator and Concept Artist
LordDirk
Casual

Previous

Return to Painting