[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Project Log: Brass Scorpions of Khorne
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Project Log: Brass Scorpions of Khorne

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Project Log: Brass Scorpions of Khorne

Postby BlueRonin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:06 am

Well.. work, Christmas, work, vacation and work has got in the way of my Marauder Destroyer project lately (thankfully I'm getting back to that this evening, my first whole evening off to myself in a month!)

However, not all work is work. I've received a commission for two Brass Scorpions of Khorne for an Apocalypse game later this month and I got started with them the other day - approximately 4.5 hours in both are built.

The build was surprisingly easy - I had imagined more fiddly bits. The only pain is carefully positioning the legs for pinning the joints - after all if you get it wrong the legs will be off. For added stability I've actually modeled the two with their bellies touching the deck in order to take some of the weight of the more fragile legs. They are meant to be game pieces, so the slight compromise in aesthetics should be worth it.
BlueRonin
User

Re: Project Log: Brass Scorpions of Khorne

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 am

There is something about the Brass Scorpions that I really love, but I just can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's because they're such a unique design? In any case I do find it a beautiful model, and even contemplated buying one at one point (despite not even playing 40k anymore and not being a Chaos fan).

From this angle I can't tell that their bellies are on the ground, but that sounds like a smart idea. I would have thought a real scorpion's body would be pretty close (if not touching) the ground too.

The finish is very matte, like they've been primed with something like Mr Surfacer, but you didn't say you've primed them yet so I assume it's just the resin. Are the plans to paint them FW style or something different?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Seb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Seb

Postby BlueRonin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Another 3 hours in, and we've got a solid amount of color on these babies. Unlike the Forgeworld variant, I'm going for a more dirty, bloody, rusty and muddy look.

Once the whole model was undercoated in Chaos Black, I drybrushed everything except the armor plating with Boltgun Metal. Then I roughly stippled all that area with Scorched Brown, Vermin Brown, and Blazing Orange (while using less and less color for each stage) before sponging it down with Chainmail. I then wetbrushed or overpainted all the armor plating with Mechrite Red, before airbrushing the entire model with a couple layers of Devlan Mud.

Next is to gently and with no small amount of patience drybrush the armor plating with Scab Red, Blood Red, then some Blazing Orange (with a few washes/glazes of Baal Red in between) before I'm going to attack the trimming with Tin Bitz (at which point I'll take some more pictures).

Time is a major issue here, as with any commission spending too much time on a model will make it too expensive. However, even working through these super-heavies with quick techniques I am confident the final look will be very cool (especially as I've already done 3000+ pts points of daemons and daemon engines in this scheme).

Kroot added for scale :)
BlueRonin
User

Postby paulson games » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm

I've always really liked the brass scorpion models, never had a reason to buy one as I don't play chaos but they are really damn fine sculpts. You're off to a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.
paulson games

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 am

BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:48 am

The red effect you're doing with the armour plates looks great. Are you planning to make it glossy like the FW example or leave it matte like that?
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:45 am

BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:38 am

Yeah I'm now certain I prefer the matte finish anyway.

They've turned out brilliantly - like I said before I do love the colouring of the armour plates. I would have liked to see a little more variation in the colours of the cabling and piping, etc, but I understand it's a commission job so it needs to be kept simple ;)

It's great that we've been joined by some talented modellers like yourself of late as it provides plenty of inspiration!
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 am

BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 am

That sounds a good plan. I've seen people paint hoses in a "danger stripe" pattern, but even if done with a very dull yellow I'm not convinced how well it would work in contrast to the red armour plating. In any case, it's definitely getting too anal over something that only needs to be tabletop quality...
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 am

Upfront Im a huge blood god guy. I have been for a while. I HATE this model. I think GW was designing a Dark Eldar model and just turned it into Khorne when DE was delayed and released it. Nothing but seething hate for the model. :twisted:

NOW that said..... I think you did an amazing job on this and I actually would consider allowing this on a table as an ally. Great job guy. :mrgreen:

I think Rust might be the way to go..... OR maybe a patina?? like oxidized Brass??
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby BlueRonin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Although I love the model, I can appreciate your stance, Munkey Joe. When it was released it was far more organic that I had expected - but the whole insect theme they have used on Daemon Engines is cool by me.

It is hard to tell on the pictures, but the brassworks have been tinted with turquoise to give it a slight effect of verdigris. I agree that the color off-sets the red very well! If I was tow ork in more brasswork detail, though, the time would go over the limit (and I already think the brasswork hasn't received enough highlighting love as it is).

Solid thinking, though; I agree on the rust and oxidization as proper effects for Chaos models (whoever imagines Berzerkers adorning, cleaning and polishing their armor and war machines?). Thanks for the input!
BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:11 pm

I did feel the brass to be suitably weathered, but didn't particularly notice the verdigris effect...
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:23 am

I do like what you have done to the models, I just dont like the models. They have grown a touch on me but still would not buy one.

After you saying the patina (or verdigris for you smart types!!)is there I looked closer and did see it. Its nice to know Im not crazy and someone who did such a wonderful job actually had the same idea i did, even if mine was after his.... ;)

It does cry for something to make it stand out IMHO, but I am of the school of If I pay out the nose for the model I want it to look astounding. I know its a commision but doing a TT standard to those models (ESP the Deamon!!!) is borderline heresy......Only in my opinion though.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Next

Return to Painting