[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - XV-9 Test pattern
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

XV-9 Test pattern

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

XV-9 Test pattern

Postby paulson games » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Was tinkering with photoshop and messing around with a few basic patterns, If I swith the pattern around I'll need to redo the file as I was an idiot and oversaved after flattening the image so I lost all the layers. :cry:

Aiming for a slightly more brown tint to the tan than the standard GW ochre with a bugandy color for the fins, not sure if my monitor matches the rest of you guys as Zac pointed out it looked very brown/chocalate in color. Looking at it a bit more I can see that It does look a bit more of a drab brown than a true red based burgandy.

Modified this one to be a bit more red on the pads

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: XV-9 Test pattern

Postby FLAPJACK » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:26 pm

Looks mint, if you can keep the flatness of the tan it will look awsome.
Walk softly and carry a big gun....!
FLAPJACK
Casual

Postby Wolfs16 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:03 am

I really like the second picture. I think the red really makes it pop. I really wish I was good at Photoshop so I could make pictures like that! (Come to think of it...I wish I had Photoshop. :| )

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby Seb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 am

Seb

Postby paulson games » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Normally I'm pretty good about avoiding the accidental oversave, for important projects I keepa backup file with a differant name saved at key points just in case. First slip up in a bout two year but was still agrrivating. I'll be reconstructing the file this week so I can play with more options.

For my own personal taste I prefer the drab browns a bit more, it's probably a hold over from seeing all my real world military equipment and vehicles in drab. Never seen any army grear in bright colors, even our dress greens are that fugly battlefield drab green.

The red seems a bit dsitracting to my eye, but it does have a certain fast speedracer type feel to the lines when they are in a bolder red.
paulson games

Postby Seb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Seb

Postby paulson games » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Did some tinkering with the gunbuster variant I plan on making the XV-9 into. Still needs some more work clean up and highlights but gives a rough idea. I should have the parts cast for it soon-ish.

An alternate blue pattern, made from the same tan layout and a color fill.

paulson games

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Now THAT looks seriously awesome. I'm not so keen on the blue colour scheme, but the tan looks great.

Those guns are so fantastic - I especially love that the end of the barrel is actually a vent. Like it's going to emit some serious energy of some kind.

The feet will need work though - they look way too weedy for all of that suit.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:04 pm

I didn't like the barrel tip on the original gun and I wanted something that implied an energy based weapon as opposed to ballistic. If my painting tech were better it could probably have a flat area inside the tip that could be painted to a glowing energy look.

I thought the texture provided some nice detail to the piece and made it look more interesting than just a hole in the end of the gun. The vent doesn't have angled flaps but just a series of risers and grooves which in my mind looked more like a high tech weapon port for energy, and of course the fact the Koto bit fit perfectly was icing on the cake.

The feet I'm not sure what to do with, I actually like the foot design but at the same time they do look undersized especially when the giganticaly oversized guns are added.
paulson games

Postby Wolfs16 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:07 pm

That looks really nice Paulson. The brown scheme has really grown on me and I think it fits the desert look pretty well. The blue looks good, but not as "realistic" as the brown from a camo perspective.

As for the shins/ankles, I agree that they need bulking. Maybe adding a little bit to it would give it the desired size. I'm thinking something like the front piece of that XV25 unknown bit added to the sides or back might look cool. But maybe replacing the shin entirley with a thicker piece would be better.

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby paulson games » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:18 pm

An urban grey tone.

I may experiment with the reverse knee and foot designs I used for my armored up XV-8 the enlarged toes may work well with the extra bulk.
paulson games

Postby Warhound » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:53 pm

DAMN YOU PAULSON!!!!

As you have all my XV9 fodder at the moment- this was just too cruel a move! I had purposely not been looking back at your ideas for the XV99 broadside, to try and keep and sense of composure and focus- this just blew that up! :lol:

Anyway- I love the design of the suit- the fact that other than the rail-cannons (which I am going to have to have a set!) it is basically a kit- bash of a design- really highlighting the fact that the XV line is basically modular.

In terms of favourite scheme, mine is this one, from your album: EDIT- OOPS.. you just posted it...

The simple tones, coupled with the 'malevolent' glow from the lenses, really works well!

Can't wait to get my stuff back! :lol:

cheers
W
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Mitey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:24 pm

These look amazing. I'm very fond of the XV-** railgun rifles you've built!
The extra detail and armor on them looks wicked...
Mitey
Casual

Postby Sha'Vaun » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:42 am

On the XV99 I like the urban scheme the most, although all of your schemes are a little too pale for my taste. You will need a very aggressive colour as sept markings to balance it. Overall I would choose the second one (cream and red)

For the feet, I think that I would replace them with the standard feet from the XV-8, because they are not so angular, which will match with the rest of the leg of the XV9.

-Sha’Vaun
Sha'Vaun
Casual

Return to Painting