[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Mini Project Log: Blood Slaughterer Unit
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Mini Project Log: Blood Slaughterer Unit

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Mini Project Log: Blood Slaughterer Unit

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:56 am

And Khorne keeps getting love!

Since these need to done tomorrow this will be a high speed mini log just to share some pictures for those interested. I've already done one of these babies earlier, so two are being added to form a full unit. I love these models, but they are tricky builds - first of all, don't dream about playing these without a base - the legs are way to thin and fragile!

What I've done is mount the body of model on a 1.2mm rod, on a base - then I assembled the legs to the body. This way the rod holds the weight and supports the model, and the legs just look cool!

The weapon arms are magnetized, so that the owner can choose whether he wants two CCWs or whether he wants to use the harpoon - fortunately the diameters are such that magnets strong enough are easily inserted.

The bases are from Ironhalo.net in NZ and are a solid chunk or resin! Triples the weight of the model, haha!
BlueRonin
User

Re: Mini Project Log: Blood Slaughterer Unit

Postby BlueRonin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:44 am

I barely got to snap a couple shots at them (in even worse lighting than usual), but they are a wrap and ready for tomorrow's big game!

At some point in the not-too-distant future I'll be getting proper shots done on all these commissions, and then I'll drop them off in their respective project Logs.
BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:47 am

Dude I can't believe how fast you're pumping out completed minis! Maybe the poor shots are masking the true nature of the paint jobs? :!:

I reckon the bases could do with some more variation in colour (add some slight brown tones in there) but other than that nothing else to add.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:18 pm

agreed.... Fantastic work and so super fast. those look great by me. :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby BlueRonin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:50 pm

The goal is to do some semi-pro photoshooting of this whole army soon - but yes, the paintscheme isn't anything anybody would be impressed with up close. However, I feel the pictures do convey the same sense that the model does on the tabletop - which is my goal - and the owner is quite a fussy guy and he's happy, so they can't be that bad. The close up of An'ggrath gives you a better look at the actual detailed quality of the paintjob (they are all pretty much the same)

However, I do like to champion the point that there are really good options in painting styles / techniques to make armies look really good, really fast! It breaks my heart to see so many novices busting their balls getting sloppy results and ending up with mismatched, half-finished units and no army even after years in the hobby... generally because they are trying to follow some 'Eavy Metal expectation while staring that the model up close under a sharp light!

After all, for us gamers it is better to have a large, way cool army on the table top than a single nice model on the shelf! :)

Of course, there is more to the hobby than just a tabletop finish, but my experience is that those who paint their first army, get hooked to paint their second army even better, or to do that one special unit even better, or to compete in Golden Daemon with their next general model, and so on... it's like you need to help people out of the block in order to get them up and running... but now I'm ranting... :)

That being said, like I mention to Zac in a PM - I love hobbying and keen on learning more about fine scale modeling and getting better results... so I'm exposing myself to more critique and I read and consider comments and criticisms very carefully because I need the challenge to raise my game to not just "Way cool" but "that's amazing" - or at least I hope to get there with practice! :)
BlueRonin
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:49 am

very cool opening your self up to that type of punishment. I will offer any thing I can for you.

Remember.... I am not the greatest painter modeler or player. take all I say with a grain of salt and when I step my bounds and you say "what a jerkface" remember that Im not the greatest. but about 1 in 100 things I say are productive so Hold out for it!!!! :mrgreen:

good luck on your development in painting and modeling and Im glad to be witness to it.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 am

The models looked great in that Apoc game on WAU!
blind pig
Junkie

Return to Painting