[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Paint stripping resin
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Paint stripping resin

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Paint stripping resin

Postby smtk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Hello

I have an old armorcast resin model that I wish to paint strip. It was originally paint with car spray paint and GW acrylics.

So far I have short list the following from googling chemicals to remove paint;
Simple green = Bought item dunked acrylic came off / car paint rubbing off a little but not much
Caustic soda (or strong oven cleaner) = Not tried
Dot 4 brake fluid = Not tried, pita to get rid off

Before i go buy the last 2 any of you have any super tips for budging old (car) paint with out melding the resin?
Build Blog
smtk
User

Re: Paint stripping resin

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:10 am

Don't use methylated spirits (what I've generally used for metal models, purely because I have it on hand)- it softens the resin (although the resin does eventually re-harden, handling the softened resin damages it).

The enamel car paint is going to be hard to remove. Do you really need to if you've got the acrylic coats off?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby smtk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:00 am

Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby smtk » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:09 am

so the results are the simple green works on car paint and doesn't hurt the resin.

But does require allot of scrubbing. Places where the over spray is heavy needed scraping to allow the simple green to work. I also bought some dental picks to scrap out the recesses where my brush couldn't reach.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks for the update - good to know that Simple Green really is the ultimate solution (unlness you're in a hurry) ;)
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm

I think your primer is an exception though Zac. I soaked that SC you'd hit with it in concentrated Simple Green for a few days and didn't have much luck getting it off. Finally just primed over it.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Oh yeah? That's interesting. I used Tamiya Surfacer Primer, which is one of the best primers I've used. In fact I've found that it leaves the much loved Mr Surfacer for dead! If only Tamiya offered it in a pot rather than expensive rattle can (so that it can be economically airbrush applied)...

Oh and I'm sorry about that. I hope the extra layer hasn't softened any details :oops:
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:13 am

Nah, no detail lost. If I ever manage to get finished painting them I'll post the pics. They've been on my table since the beginning of the month and I've only got 1 of 5 through the first round of high lights to the hull color.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Novista » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:33 pm

If you're in the U.K. straight up Dettol (plus you can slip it on the shopping list and get it in under the radar :) ), simple green is a nightmare to get hold of over here, unless you wanna fork out loads on P&P.

Dettol is the dogs, between 1-3 days covered and in a jam jar and you'll see the paint start to lift off. Toothbrush and washing up liquid off that which doesn't just lift off.
Novista
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Fairy Power Spray is meant to be amazing. Just a few minutes soak!
Not tried it yet myself but will buy as soon as I see it :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby smtk » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:31 pm

noted I'll probably try them out at some stage :)

simple green is sold in the UK but its expensive esp if dettol does the same thing
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby Novista » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Novista
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26 am

Bought some Fairy Power Spray today and it is incredible! Starts working instantly but needs about 20mins to do the job. I just sprayed the (plastic) model and left it for a while. Came back and cleaned it with some carry-case foam (I was in the middle of a game!) and all the paint bar that in the deep recesses came right off. For £2.50 at Tesco (ugh, I hate that I gave them my money) I consider it a huge win.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:16 am

Thats awesome. So it's good for Plastics and Reisn?
This could be my new favourite product.
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 am

Tested it on a second hand Barracuda and it seems to leave resin alone :)

Update:
Took a bit of work on this one, but take a look at how many layers of paint were on it:

Fleafa
Junkie

Next

Return to Painting