[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Crap-Mera Painting Log
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Crap-Mera Painting Log

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Crap-Mera Painting Log

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu May 03, 2012 1:49 am

OK Guys... I HAVE been doing something!! Here is a pic or 2 (from my phone...) of a chimera I threw together for an art display at West Point Academy in New York. I did this in 7 days (I only worked on it for about 4 really) While working 10 hour days also, so be harsh but not terribly so.... :mrgreen:

I started the night of the 26th and completed it late afternoon on the first. It was an old Glue Bomb Chimera I was actually going to make into terrain, but my Wife told me she wanted it to take to West Point I had to make something decent out of it. Anyway Here are some pics...

Pics were taken from my Blog, as concept( ) and actually what happened ()

Total project done within 7 days from start to finish. Better pics will come after it returns from the show! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Re: Crap-Mera Painting Log

Postby mangozac » Thu May 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Good job MJ! Quite impressive for a 7 day-er!

I have 2 small criticisms:
1. It all seems a bit glossy. I don't know if that's just the photography though?
2. I'm not a fan of the picture frame border. I'm sure it's quick and easy :P
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Anvils Hammer » Fri May 04, 2012 3:50 am

I personally love the picture frame.. much better than using it for a stuffy painting of some flowers or similar..

very realistic rust youve got there, is the recipe posted up anywhere?

Man I miss painting tanks.. its been years!!

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri May 04, 2012 10:36 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon May 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Actually the glossiness might be just a visual trick carrying over from the glossiness of the frame. When I look closely without the frame the model itself seems pretty fine...

The main reason I don't like the frame is that it diverts your attention from the model itself. This is compounded when the frame has a fancy design like this one :(
Actually, I could see the frame making sense if you wanted to force the viewer into an overhead view of the diorama, but for vehicles and troops we generally want the viewer to be able to see "eye to eye", hence why plinth mounting is the traditional style.

Still, you've done a great rush job on it so don't let me comments detract from your work ;)

Interesting to read your rust technique - it does indeed look really good! I've got an Ork Mega Dread half assembled that I will paint up once my SAW diorama is done, and I think I'll give the hairspray and salt technique a go for that!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue May 08, 2012 1:22 pm

I see your point about the Frame..... It does distract both by the gloss and and shape/design of the frame.... but it detracts from a sub par paintjob!!! LMAO!!!

And your assessment of the view is spot on..... I have never thought of that..... but it does force you into a "fake" view compared to what it should.

And About the rust... I use the salt -Hairspray also, but this is a effective fast and easy, IMHO and its great for someone who has MANY MANY items (Tanks) to do it on and easy to replicate for a cohesive force. Basically its a cheat to give similar results, and Salt-HS is the right way.....but its something I can get rough with and abuse while rushing and not worry about removing the effect before its time.

As Always I welcome feedback, good and bad, and me "defending" what i did is not to debunk anyone's opinion, but more of a reason why I did what i did. And some of the Better painters, I welcome your opinions too, as well as tips for "cheap,down and dirty" but great effect..... Vaaish, Pig, Ark.... feel free to bash!! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Return to Painting