[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - XV-9 Group
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

XV-9 Group

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Re: XV-9 Group

Postby paulson games » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:42 am

Finished washing the second suit and added the granite tones.

Dismounted the suits to work on the bases, they are looking a bit too light so I'm thinking they need another light bit of wash on the gravel areas. But otherwise the bases are just about done, there is very nice grain/mist pattern on the surface and it looks quite a bit like actual shale very happy with how the bases came out.

I'll be working on the third suit some more tonight and then I'll be ready for adding highlights and final details. :)
Last edited by paulson games on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:50 am

You know, I can't help but feel that they could do with a third colour. I realise that due to your military background you have a visual preference for more muted drab tones and colours that dont draw attention but IMO this can leave minis a little on the boring side to look at.

In addition, the ochre and brown colours are of very similar tonings which doesn't help. I'm a big fan of a few random blue panels with a scheme like this but I reckon a medium grey also works well.

That said, maybe they will seem to 'pop' a bit more once you've done the highlighting?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Wolfs16 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Maybe some kind of glowing or lighting effect would help? I do agree that they look a little dull, but would fit perfectly in the real world. Funny how that works. :)

Oh wait, maybe Sept markings are the missing factor? What Sept are they from?

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby Warhound » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:46 pm

I agree with the other 2;-)

Edge highlight all the armour (2-3 levels), paint all the lenses (inc my little ones) with a green or blue (red is too close in tone to the ochre and brown) and then the Sept markings in astonomicon grey and then white over the top will make it all pop!!!

So nearly there my friend- its so nice to see you do my puppies proud! 8-)

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby paulson games » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:22 pm

The paint is a bit drab but that's what I'm aiming for as I want it a realistic military feel. With the highlights lenses, unit and sept symbols it'll reduce the dull look a tiny bit as it'll give some small bright spots. The white unit bands will be small but they'll bring up a lot of the extra detail, teh basic collor pattern was kinda boring on photoshop but the markings and lenses make a huge differance.

Also there should be some mail going out monday :)
paulson games

Previous

Return to Painting