[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vaaish's Epic Stuff
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish's Epic Stuff

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Vaaish's Epic Stuff

Postby Vaaish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

Well I got the bases and finished them up last night. Today I had to do a few touch ups since the bases ended up being darker than I'd planned and I needed to break the models from them a bit more. I also primed two of the thunderhawk transports for painting next week or so.

The real reason for this post though is the pics of the obelisks all finished. I have enough done for one obelisk detachment and the remaining four are split between two Monolith detachments that are yet to be finished. (primed and ready to go, just not done yet.) That leave me 7 models to paint, two more objectives and the scratch build of the wraiths.

and a closeup:
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Great work as always. These are much cooler than the 40k scale monoliths (although I realise they are different units)!
In that last closeup pic can you see the light lines diagonally across the front left pylon? Is that just a fingerprint or something more sinister like marks from the 3D print process?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vaaish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks! I'll take the comment about the monoliths as a complement since these guys are one of the first ground up models I've sculpted in CG. You are correct, those diagonal lines are the result of the printing process. It seems that those lines are much more visible in the resin bits like the pylons but they seem to disappear on the metal cast central core. I think a good bit of that could have been fixed by casting a resin master from the print and lightly sanding it before casting.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:30 pm

You sneaky bugger you never told us that! I was always under the impressions that the "some guy on the tacticomms forums" was someone else (I realise it may be for some of the other Necron Epic minis). In that case these are really awesome! Like I said the design is great and looks much more ancient high tech than the boxy looking Monoliths.

Yeah it's a shame about the 3D printing marks. Indeed an interim cast may have been preferable. How noticeable is it in person? I'd guess not very, especially at usual distance ;)

Hey I was on the FW website yesterday and noticed they have a new . It's like a strange looking giant robot centipede though, which I really don't feel fits the Necron theme very well. I wasn't very impressed personally...
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Well... it was a really long time ago that I posted this :):

but that was back when I was prototyping it for moulding. While those marks a easy to see in the pic, in life they are invisible. It was just the combination of zoom and lighting that brought them out as much as it is. This is the only one I've done for the crons the others were from various other places. When I was working it up I tried to take some ques from the Necron design aesthetic so that's where the vanes came from as well as the segmented plates and intentions on the pylons and the gold bits in between. The rest was joined with some concepts from ancient Egyptian architecture for the central obelisk and the general idea of the surrounding pylons.

I remember seeing that model, I wasn't much impressed either. It seems rather far from the cron aesthetic to fit in well, even when painted.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:14 pm

I do remember seeing those shots of the 3D prints, but I incorrectly assumed that you weren't the author :?

So in future I expect you to keep us in the loop when you develop new models like that! ;)
mangozac

Postby Kiour_gr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:57 pm

Amazing! simpy amazing!
Kiour_gr
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:58 am

Thanks! Well today was pretty busy. I've started in on painting up the thunderhawk transports and I built the last two necron objectives as well as priming them and the nightbringer model. On top of that I managed to finish painting up the Tomb Complex that counts as the necron Blitz objective.

No rest for a bit, but the end is in sight for this necron force. Just the nightbringer, 6 monoliths, 2 objectives, and three stands of wraiths :)

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:43 pm

I still feel the roof of the rearmost structure is just a bit too bland in comparison to the rest of the complex. Even just something like the symbol on the front of the obelisks on the side of the complex would suffice.

What do you have planned to represent the wraiths? I seem to remember something about having to do a conversion. I was wondering if a bit of wound guitar string attached to the top half of one of the normal warriors would work....
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Perhaps so. I'd been planning on freehanding a bunch of necron glyphs on the back structure but my hands weren't cooperating today and I finally just dropped the idea. I might give it another go eventually. I did kind of want the rear structure to be clean and faceless like much of the necron architecture. Similar idea to the weird pylons on Cadia or the stuff found in the cron codex.

The wraiths I'm partly looking forward to and partly not. I'm planning on sculpting the in GS and I'm not fond of doing 9 total but I think it will go fairly well. I'd see about resin casting them but I don't think they will be strong enough with the spine bits which leave metal casting and I don't want to spend that much money on it.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:19 am

I'm now down to two landers remaining of the IF stuff for Cal. After a fair bit of craziness attempting to paint up all six monoliths, two objectives, and the two landers, the landers won out and I finished them up today just in time to head out for a couple days with the family for Thanksgiving.

I must say, the landing clamps are some of the most fiddly bits to get in place since FW didn't exactly make the tolerances good on them or really mark placement well. I think they assumed you'd put the raider in first, glue on the clamps, and then put the wings on before you painted it.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get the rest of the cron stuff done next week in preparation for the Nightbringer. Following that will be the DIY swap 40k mini and then the remaining landers.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 am

I never realised the lander was such a big model! It it much/any bigger than a t-hawk? It can alternately carry two Rhinos right?
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:00 pm

yeah it's a considerable bit larger than the thunderhawk. Actually the rhino ones are next on teh list.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Kennui » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:28 am

How do the carriers look next to a 40k scale marine or similar?
Kennui
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:43 am

I'll try to get a shot of it sometime next week, but things are a bit busy. I'm trying to get another 8 models done before the end of the week and epicomp submissions close.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)