[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Schnabel Gun Mecha build
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Schnabel Gun Mecha build

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

Schnabel Gun Mecha build

Postby RageofAchilles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 am

A bit of painted resin for the gallery :shock:

The Schnabel Gun was the first production kit from the talented Kallamity ( Luca Z). As a tribute to Luca's own first build of the kit, I went with an orange paint scheme. I have made some additions to the kit ....I have real trouble not doing that lol.

RageofAchilles
Habit

Re: Schnabel Gun Mecha build

Postby Vaaish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:30 am

Very nice jog on the paint there. Do you varnish the final piece or just leave it as is?
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby RageofAchilles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:39 am

Many thanks :)

Varnish can be tricky, so I decided to leave it as it is. I gave the model a matt clear coat after applying the decals to remove their glossy finish. There are oil based pigments and washes over that.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:22 am

Awesome work, Dave!

I agree that for static display pieces like this a top layer of varnish is unnecessary. I don't bother on my display models (however like Dave, I do have intermediate varnish coats pre and post decals/oils).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby RageofAchilles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Cheers mate!

I used to have problems with cellulose spray varnish eating Decals, so I swapped to Acrylic varnish applied with airbrush, but only do a top coat for gaming pieces.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Yep, I've done gloss clear prior to decals, another coat post decals, oil washes, then Tamiya matte clear airbrushed on. Then some final oil weathering/discoloration.
mangozac

Postby RageofAchilles » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:17 am

It gets crazy with the layering doesn't it? I think I have 9 layers on the Schnabel lol

Although 3 of those are down to the Salt and hairspray technique.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:27 am

Oh you did the salt and hairspray technique? It looks good. It's a technique I've always struggled to get acceptable results with in the past...
mangozac

Postby RageofAchilles » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:54 am

Its all about finding the right hairspray, a lot of people have that problem. I use a pump spray Fructis Bamboo strength 4. Its got enough strength to hold the rock salt in place without dissolving it.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 am

Yeah I heard that. I also tried the AK Interactive chipping products. I've also got a MIG chipping product to try...
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:20 am

Fantastic.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby RageofAchilles » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:22 am

RageofAchilles
Habit

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)