ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Update on my Battletech/Mechwarrior 1:60 scale models

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

Update on my Battletech/Mechwarrior 1:60 scale models

Postby smtk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:40 am

Latest to oldest

You can see more here
http://smtkelly.deviantart.com/gallery/
or follow the WIP here
http://reversedisabled.blogspot.co.uk/
smtk
User

Re: Update on my Battletech/Mechwarrior 1:60 scale models

Postby Vaaish » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:53 am

nicely done. I like how the Centurion came out particularly.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Xeones » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:55 am

Beautiful work as always smtk! What's next? Any new mechs on the horizon?
Xeones
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:35 am

Great to see an update, smtk! Man your mech production is prolific!

It's interesting to see how much you've refined your skills since we first met you - really impressive stuff nowadays ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby smtk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:14 am

Thanks I been refining, sad fact is I'm never happy with anything that's why I have the nickname Simoan. Every time I finish one this annoying voice nags at me to make a better one. I've bought my own CNC machine now a Roland MDX40a its allot slower than 3D printing but the results are undeniably good and (once I've paid off the purchase price) good value production.

I wish I could make more I reckon I good make 3 a year but kids (either being sick or getting me sick) and modelling/production problems just drop me down to 1.5

I still have to paint 4 more hunchies (2 for myself and 2 for the guys who make MWO). Then I'm going to have a bash at a leopard dropship table top scale.
I already have one SLS printed (because of the size of it) and tried to post clean it up I got pretty far (6weeks on it) but I just kept thinking there was a better way and it pushed me into the CNC route.

After the leopard something like thor/loki (together), mauler, warhammer, awesome
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:09 pm

smtk wrote:I've bought my own CNC machine now a Roland MDX40a its allot slower than 3D printing but the results are undeniably good and (once I've paid off the purchase price) good value production.

Nice toys! How do you find the Roland machine?

Don't worry, 1.5 kits a year isn't too bad as hobby output, especially at the scale you're producing them!

Awesome work on the dropship, too ;)
mangozac

Postby Malika » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:40 pm

Cast them!!!!!!! I want one!!!!!
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby smtk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:08 pm

mangozac wrote:Nice toys! How do you find the Roland machine?

no doubt CNC is better than any 3D printing I've seen. Its the first time I've been happy with the results. Ultimately its the process used to make every plastic part you've ever had, it just down to the machines to eek out that finish. For sure its a declining industry that's why prices have come down to almost hobby level in 10years (or less) 3D printing might catch up in quality and price.

The down side for me is time and breaking down parts. Its slow to write cutting code, slow to cut parts and you have to break most parts down to give the machine access to under cuts and end faces. Start up costs are high, I'm just about to order some custom long reach bits to make my life easier.

However once the fix costs are paid off every model will just cost time and modelling board. From the machine 90% of the part is finished state just removing the spru and some tidy up in places that were quicker to do by hand.

I want to get a better cad CNC program the free one with Roland MDW40A works but lacks features like being able to revise the 3D model if you hit a problem and smarter/faster tool paths. My next production step would be to buy a desktop plastic injection mould machine. Machine the injection moulds half's and do away will resin/rtv. Theres a few on the market for around £2000 but I've keeping one hard rule (which keeps the wife at bay) that's never over extend the hobby had to pay for its self so first I have to pay down the mdx40a and then I'll look for a small injection mould machine.
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:49 am

That's great! I've not tried any true 3D work on my router but should get some model board and give it a go one day! What size cutting bits do you use?

Setting up for plastic injection would be very cool. It seems there is a big learning curve with that one though!
mangozac

Postby smtk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:52 am

15mm reach bits
2mm Ball end
1mm Ball end
0.64mm Ball end
0.64mm flat

Shorter detail bits
0.38mm flat
0.25mm flat
0.25mm ball end[/list]

looking to re-buy in 25mm
2mm Ball
1mm Ball
0.5mm Ball and flat[/list]

Looking to re-buy in 10mm
0.25mm ball

Maybe some kind of taper bit for the gaps I sized too small.

From what I've read about plastic moulding its all about making everything as a clam shell which you kinda have to do anyway with cnc to limit shrinkage and you have to over scale by a few percent for shrinkage aswell. Up shot is fuss free moulds that last 100 pulls and cheap parts that can be glued with cement.
smtk
User

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)