ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

XV-9 Group

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

XV-9 Group

Postby paulson games » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:21 pm

For some reason Tau ochre color gives my camera fits and it's near impossible to get a pic with the correct color tones much less one that shows the nice spray/grain pattern on the miniatures as the pics looked completely washed out. These are the best I was able to get.

I was under a tight window so they are only painted to a rough table top standard. Next time around I'll be painting the stuff before assembly as these were a giant pain to get under the arms and in recessed areas. I know I can do much better, but eh they're tableworthy which is better than 90% of the rest of mystuff. Rushed to get them ready for play last weekend and they performed well, but don't have a huge punch against anything but infantry so I'm hoping to see what other weapon varients come out soon.

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: XV-9 Group

Postby Warhound » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Whilst I would agree that the light has not done any favours (Tau Ochre is a SOB!) It is very clear that these are very nice suits!

I love how you have made the lenses 'pop' (white undercoat- ink over top?) and the brown areas break up the suit nicely!

One clear area that is missing however is the white sept markings? I realise that you were up against it to get them fielded, but now the pressure is off, perhaps add them on?

Otherwise, by far the best XV9's I have seen painted !

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby paulson games » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:30 am

It's hard to tell in the pics but there's some rough/sloppy brush work around some of the tight areas where there's minor brush marks spilling over onto the ochre areas. Primarily on the inside edges of the burst cannons and on the lower legs.

I'm pretty critical of my own painting so I wasn't all that happy withit but the other guys at the bunker all loved the paint and only really noticed when I pointed it out. It's a good table standard but when you give it a good close up look it's not going to be winning any paint competitions.

The lenses were done with ice blue washed with badab black and then brightened up with a mix of ice blue and skull white. I probably could have gone for a multiple shade process to make them seem more liquidy or glass like but like thios they at least give a little bit of glow effect.

I'll probably be adding the sept markings shortly. Definately learned a lot painting these are they were my first larger scale 40k models. Next time around I'll be painting the parts before assembly, I may partially assemble the legs and arms but leav them seperate from the body unti it's all painted as it'll be much easier to get in the tighter areas. I also need to take more time, a lot of the sploppy paint could have been minimized by going a bit slower.

Overall I'm fairly happy with them, I like the paint scheme and it's given me goo ideas on how I want to paint my Tau tanks. It was also a great experience being the first time I've used my airbrush and helped me figure out a few tips for next time around.

What I will need to do is find a suitable paint mix that mimic the charnadon granite foundation paint, it's rather thick and when I dillute it on the wet pallette it constantly needs remixing as it keeps seperates into the green and brown base pigments which is very frustrating and can give some odd consistancy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which paints I should look at? maybe also something in the vallejo line or privateer?
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 am

Man they look great from this distance (thus perfect tabletop quality as you say). You've really got to get that macro setting on the camera working though ;)

The colours have turned out really beautiful and I can imagine they look pretty impressive on the tabletop.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)