[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vaaish's 40k Stuff
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish's 40k Stuff

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Vaaish's 40k Stuff

Postby Vaaish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Hey look, it's been a rather long time since I posted anything 40k. Well, it's also been a rather long three weeks of painting to get this guy posted at all! Anyway, here's my master of the forge with his servitors coming sometime before Christmas. I decided to try a slightly different light setup for the photos and I think it may have had the unintended effect of killing the shading on the bronze and gold for the shoulder pads. Ah well. Anyway, he's done and I'm happy although I think the harness did come out a tad rushed in areas.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Very nice!

I can't fault anything with the painting so I'll pick at the mini itself: I'm not so keen on that armour style. It looks to me like Space Marine crossed with Iron Man, which I don't feel works that well. The servo harness is cool though ;)

I love all of the little details; the purity seals are superb, as is the shading on, well, everything. The freehand work on his left kneepad is stunning!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby paulson games » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:57 pm

I think it turned out great, the techmarine has always been one of my favorite character models for the game. Really nicely done.
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks!I can't say anything about the armor style, I didn't do any conversion work to this guy :) Personally, I like the look but I think there are few oddities like the eyes being too recessed to be visible and the nose rivet.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:31 am

Oh yeah I knew that - that's why I picked on it :P
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:15 am

Well, now to do something that I usually abhor. It seeems to get anything decent out of Cool Mini I need to ask everyone to please vote on the MOTF.... yes I just did that.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/289848

:)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:31 am

Just can't help yourself eh? I just voted for you, but I don't know how your average is still only 8.5...
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:51 am

Thanks :) In my defense, it was hovering around 6.7 this morning.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Lane » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 pm

when I voted it was 8.1 but only 16 votes, I think you had to get past the chronic douche votes.
Lane
Habit

Postby paulson games » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:16 pm

When I checked it was at 8.6 with 39 votes.

I do really like the model, I know it's a stock feature but the nose stud always drives me nuts reminds me of a snowman's carrot nose.
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:20 pm

I know what you mean. I actually didn't see the peg until after he was primed and then I just wonder why that was there. None of the other bits are held in place with rivets so why that bit?
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:21 am

Well, pictures at last :) I'm not 100% sure I'm finished with these guys yet. Some of the arms seem a bit much with the metal and I might go back through tomorrow evening and paint the casing black to tie into the Techmarine a bit more. I haven't yet because it's more time consuming to paint the metals on these guys than to come back with black and highlight. I was going for something less human looking than typical so I thought a more gray blue for the skin would make these appear more automaton than human and help to show the lack of higher brain functions. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't like the coveralls look so I added the jacket and armor plates on three of them. They turned out alright but I think I could have done much better if I'd had tools that could get in the areas I was sculpting to smooth it out more. My server is temporarily not allowing me to upload the image as they hopefully add in more storage space so in the mean time I've put these up on image shack. Once I'm happy I'll probably put a shot up on Cool Mini and hope for the best so I might be plugging them in the near future to bump over 50 votes again....

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Excellent!

The added armour plates, etc. are way better - it makes them look much more like they belong on the battlefield.

Personally I'm not sold on the skin colour. I feel that retaining a little bit of pinky tinge would have been preferable, primarily to prevent the flesh from blending in too much with the grey/black tones of the mechanical pieces. Still keeping them "zombie" looking but more obviously ex-human. But that's just my little nitpick - the painting is great as always!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:52 am

Yeah, I was talking with Xeones about that today and I think I lost a good bit of the red purple that was in it as I built up the tone so I'm going to try to do some tinting washes to bring back some of the pinkish tones.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)