[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vaaish's BFG stuff
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish's BFG stuff

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Vaaish's BFG stuff

Postby Vaaish » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks! I was a little afraid I overshaded it with my last can of sepia starting to thicken up. Speaking of BFG, the gothicomp galleries are up finally and I'm a little surprised my IN shitps are the only ones sporting your prows. Here's to seeing how things fare this year. I'm hoping to make at least the semifinals, though the likelihood of beating out Canucks fan's eldar is slim.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:27 am

I mark this as one of my better failures. Some things worked out alright like the difference in shading on the top vs the underside but overall it really isn't one of the best models I've painted. I consider it a failure partly because I messed up the gold by making it too bright and was too annoyed to properly repaint it to the reddish tone and partly because I assumed I'd already cleaned the model and found a bunch of flash and other imperfections after I'd already primed it.

My goal here was to pull both from the eldar and necron influences to come up with something that was a bit different than the typical BLACK blackstone fortress. Hence, the interior is a reddish metal and the exterior is more of a bone color. To achieve the namesake black stone, I decided to leave the capstone of the pyramid black. I may yet go back and adjust a few things but here it is.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:46 am

Mate regardless of the flaws that is beautiful! Seriously that is by far the best painted Blackstone I have seen anywhere (not that you see them up close like this too often). I quite like the choice of colours and particularly enjoy the glowing green effects.

If my normal painting turns out as well as your failure I'll be a happy man!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Vaaish.... that is the best BSF I have ever seen...... If thats a failure, I want your life... :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Moonfog » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm very impressed by how you've painted this stuff. May I ask how you paint that kind of detail on such a small model? Do you use a magnifying glass of some sort to make the details more clear? That BSF is simply amazing.
Moonfog
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks, for this it's pretty simple since the detail is fairly large. I don't use a magnifying glass on them either. Some detail is brought out using drybrushing or spot highlighting using a 0/10 brush or a 0/5 brush. This was a very messy model with mould blowout on the lower piece and several bits that were improperly constructed or hurriedly constructed on the master.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:26 am

No new models, but I was a little concerned seeing the blackstone together with my razorbacks that the bone and khaki seemed almost identical in the photos so I spent a bit of time trying to remove the yellow haze. I think the end result is much closer to the actual model and means I'll need to sit down and create a new white point balance file for my camera as well as a calibration file in photoshop to help with the more yellow light I seem to be dealing with.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 pm

I fixed a few issues that were bugging me with the blackstone fortress I painted a while back.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Ahh I saw you mention on another forum that you were planning to swap the colours of the capstone and gems. Personally I preferred it how it was with the black capstone, but it still looks pretty good. Did you lighten the overall tan colour of the Blackstone or is that just the different lighting?
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Tue May 17, 2011 1:52 pm

I think that conceptually the black capstone is better, but visually it left the model with no visual center point. Swapping the colors makes it more interesting to look at. I didn't do anything to the main colors, the biggest difference is that this shot was taken after I properly calibrated the RAW import in photoshop so I don't end up with the odd yellow tint my older pics have. The only other bits I changed were adding the green to the tube bits at the end of the arms and using some delvan mud to better shade the gold on the top.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:28 pm

So what colors are used for the ruddy red that you have in the first shots?
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 am

Hmmm.... I think I was using a black undercoat drybrushed with scab red followed with blood red before a heavy wash of dark flesh followed by another light drybrush of blood red and final highlights picked out using vomit brown. I might have done a light glaze of dark flesh over the vomit to give the highlights a bit more tone but I don't think it's really necessary.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 am

so a rather long term project came to a close yesterday. Hopefully late tonight or tomorrow night I'll be able to post pics but after what I believe the longest time I've spent on a model (or models in this case), I'm finally finished painting the strike cruiser conversions Zac helped with last year! I think the results are some of the best I've gotten in a long time.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:22 am

Considering the fact that I generally find all of your painting to be such high quality I'm really looking forward to seeing what these have turned out like if you're considering them your best results!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 am

It might be a bit later than tomorrow unfortunately. It seems I'm out of dull coat and it's storming outside. These were painted up using no drybrushing or washes. THe base color was built up slowly at nearly the glaze level and I've done things I don't typically do like colorized metals and engine glow with OSL. I was debating adding a bit of freehand on the front of the prow wings and the back wings but I decided against it for the time being. I also couldn't bring myself to highlight it up to pure white in the french style.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)