[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vaaish does battletech...
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish does battletech...

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Vaaish does battletech...

Postby Vaaish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 am

The pattern is molded onto the mech so any decal wouldn't attach correctly unless the mech was seriously modified.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 am

Ah, bugger. I thought it was a flat surface and someone was *really* patient and painted them on.

Could you try just putting on a blue Citadel Wash on the hex bits and see how that looks?
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:00 am

detail was too shallow to use a wash. I did a wash over them using gouache to test since you can use a damp cotton swab to remove the excess after the gouache is dry but it took most of the dried gouache between the hexes as well. The only real option was to paint each one individually and highlight them.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:01 am

At least it takes away the headache of getting the geometry and sizes right.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vaaish » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:42 am

And we are back! Since I never seen to trust there being someone else with a painted force to play any of the systems I've painted for and battletech is even lower on the radar than BFG and Epic, I decided I needed to have this second group of mechs capable of being used against my first batch as well as with them should I ever play large games. After looking through everything it seems that my first group was trained by Wolf's Dragoons and later had a knock down drag out fight with them which makes the dragoons perfect for this next set of mechs. Since everyone seems to like painting up the black widow company, I decided to go for something different and painted Epsilon Company. While it turned out alright, it's also a pretty bland scheme so I'm partly wondering why I didn't go with a more interesting set. I did a bit of weathering on the warhammer which I may return to in the future to help break things up more.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:57 am

Wow they all look great and I really like that Warhammer design. I agree though the single colour like that is a little bland - can you not add some contrasting stripes or select panels of a different colour? The warning stripes are cool as always!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:48 am

Unfortunately, if I keep the scheme canon I can't do anything else to them. The only descriptor is that epsilon company paints their mechs solid tan. I had reservations about doing this theme when I started but by then it was a bit late to change it. Perhaps I should have taken a bit more liberties with the "tan" descriptor and taken that to mean multiple shades of tan to break out some of the panels.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:42 am

It's not really a big deal - they're far from boring looking! And lets be honest it's not much different to modern day "Iraqui Sand" colour ;)
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Well I just couldn't leave it alone. bugged me too much so I tweaked a few things tonight. Perhaps I'll do a bit of weathering later but for now I feel better with the tan broken up a bit with... darker tan. :) The photo should be exposed properly now I think too.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:45 pm

Perfect!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:25 pm

not quite. Still wasn't happy so I changed the window to blue. Stands out better I think. Now to figure out a better weathering method. Fun what you can get done while waiting on other projects :)

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:31 pm

I really like these, at first glance they are a bit plain bit but that's exactly what battletech minis are supposed to be. Just like real world military machines they use a lot of drab boring colors. The downside is those colors don't help it pop while on the table.

With a close look to see the details I think you did a great job with the two tone tan which helps break up the diferant sections. I also really like the blue canopy lenses, so many people do the red jewel effects that it just gets old and the blue really helps contrast the tan color much better than the previous orange. The orange was well done but seemed kinda flat due to being close in color to the tan.

I do think that some more unit marking or numbers might be warranted, maybe some white identifier numbers or more caution markers.

The military aricraft I've been around are all usually monotone drab color but they still have lots of hazard markings around intakes and along wing steps etc. I've also seen a lot of that that same detail in place on marine and army tanks. The bulk of the vehicle is usually in olive drab, desert tan, or light gray and will have tons of white or black crew markings.

I think it'd be a very acurate way of addinga touch more detail onto the models while still keeping it inline with the fiction requirements. I know there's already few of those on the models already but adding more would probably be good?

If you want a super anal attention to detail the wolverine has two machine guns in the nose slots that aren't cast on either the plastic or metal versions, if you use a super thin wire you can add those. I used to try and add those but they always popped off if you even looked at the model, that was also way before I had a pin vise drill.
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:36 pm

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Seb » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:06 am

MMmm, pretty much how I would describe them too, bland. ;)

It's the fate of some utility schemes, they do tend to be dreary but the execution here is great. All the detail picked out and shown up.

Quality stuff as always man.

- Seb
Seb

Postby Vaaish » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:59 am

Another week and another model painted up :) I admit I was a bit lazy on this guy since as of Friday night he barely had more than the first layer of highlights on him. Anyway, I am planning a pseudo-tutorial about how I painted this guy soon, but I still have to edit all the pics for it. In the mean time, here are the pics of the final for the Victor.

And a group show of the entire lance:
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)