well, it's been awhile. All manner of things conspired to make sure I've had no rest and not much time for painting. I've got to say these almost had me quit painting for a good long while too. Somehow after I was 90% finished I realized I'd painted the scheme inverted and I was prepared to strip them down and start over. Thankfully the client suggested a different scheme which only put their completion off by a week. All in all they didn't turn out horrible for a higher end table top quality job. These are painted up as Wolf in Exile Beta.
There were minor conversions on these for pose and giving the hellstar some beefier torso PPC's. I believe that the next couple of weeks will be spent prepping a large number of models for painting since we are hitting the cold season soon and I don't want to mess with priming outside.
So I'm finally done with probably the crappiest thing I've painted in quite a while. These guys had far more issues than they should have from over complex paint mixes to having too little contrast and finally failing to even get a half decent photo. I may try again for individual shots as soon as I figure out some light setup that doesn't instantly erase all highlights and make them look like a three year old spit painted them.
Seriously, I think this is some of your best work yet! Maybe it's just because I'm fond of the colours, but the Madcat (or Timberwolf or whatever name it goes by in this setting) looks absolutely stunning. I'm in love with the shading on the panels!
Thanks, but comparative to the reaver Titan and even some of my previous lances I just feel these lack contrast and much crispness is lost from the poor casting.
Areas like the missile pods or excessively fine detail on the legs, feet, and arms on the timber wolves muddy things up because you can't ignore it and yet it is nearly impossible to properly paint. It's compounded by my lack of contrast on the white legs that just gives things an unfinished and flat look.
So it's been a long time coming, but I've finally finished up the last of my Inner Sphere lances. The goal was to have 4 IS lances of equal BV so I could mix and match and not have to worry about points. The second part of that was to figure out four DIFFERENT units that could plausibly fight the clans as well as each other or be allied.
What I ended up with is Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment, Eridani Light Horse 151'st, Ryuken-Roku, and last of all 1st Regulan Hussars. At some point I'll put together a shot of all the lances together, but for now here's the Hussars: