[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - FW Ork Mega Dread
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

FW Ork Mega Dread

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

FW Ork Mega Dread

Postby mangozac » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Well I haven't posted a topic in here in a while, but believe it or not I've actually finished painting something!

Since I have a soft spot for mecha models when I first saw the FW Ork Mega Dread I instantly fell in love – the ramshackle design is marvellous in its chaos. Unfortunately like all FW resin-crack it’s pretty expensive, so I could never justify purchasing one. But then earlier this year I managed to acquire one for cheap because it was missing a couple of bits. Through my contacts I was able to source a couple of replacements and thus began my journey into painting a rusty, ramshackle mecha.

Phil Stutcinskas has done a fantastic job of the model – the level of detail is just insane. I particularly loved all of the gears and the way that many of them mesh together. I applaud the variety of cables and hoses he has employed also.

Now I have to say up front that this was my first time using pretty much all of the techniques I used to paint this. In the past the bulk of my painting was of Tau models for tabletop use, which had very clean lines and no metallics. I decided that other than the primary metal colour of the model I wanted to have a highlight colour of blue.

As a final step I dusted the entire model with orange rust pigment. Having never done it before I was hesitant at first, but I’m so glad I did. The rust powder took the model from looking OK to looking great and really pulled everything together to give a uniform neglected appearance. The blue panels and orange rust really work well together.

Now I realise that in the scheme of things this is far from award winning painting – like I said this was my first time trying out a lot of these techniques so there was a lot of trial and error involved. I did a few steps in the wrong order. From a technical point of view my rusty paint chips are all the wrong way around. But IMO the net result looks quite nice and I’m very pleased with the result.

I’m still deciding whether to make a display base for it or not. I do feel that bases complete the model so I would prefer it. I’m envisioning the edge of some highway asphalt with the Mega Dread standing there at idle.

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: FW Ork Mega Dread

Postby Fleafa » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Looks great, though I'd like to see a little more variation of colour in the painted panels. Maybe just some smaller panels retaining their old paint job from before they were 'salvaged'. I like the rust effect alot.
Also, the Ork is a little dark for my liking. He needs to contrast more with the Dread.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks Ben. I had intended to do more variety of metal colours but it was just too much extra work so I didn't bother. Good idea about having bits of old original paint showing too - although again a lot of extra work.

You're right about the Ork's skin tone - I wasn't intending to have it so dark, it just ended up that way...
mangozac

Postby Jynxia » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:23 am

I love anything the Orks make. It's so hastily put together and dangerous looking! You've done a good job for your first FW and I like the colours you've chosen. Though in the darker places you should work on a sense of depth; a lighter shade of grey or a few dry brush/highlights to make him really pop.
I've got a Skaven abomination in my closet waiting around to be painted since Christmas. ;-;

Have fun!
Jynxia
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks Jynxia! Forge World Ork designs really are fantastic. The level of detail is superb!

I received my plastic grots last week so I've now got to get around to painting them up so I can finish the mini diorama.
mangozac

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)