ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Dawn of War Shas'O

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Dawn of War Shas'O

Postby paulson games » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:28 pm

I was digging through my bits box for my on-hold space hulk parts, and came across my Shas'O I'd been working on and kinda left on the back burner long enough to forget about. This was my second casting project and I decided to give it some minor touch up work tonight, some of the ATT guys may remember this from almost a year ago.

The arms will need to be redone, I had some issues with bubbling from resin not flowing into the arm mold properly which hopefully the new vacuuum pump will get rid of. Once I have a proper resin arm to modify I'll probably rebuild the greater portion of it with space marine or terminator parts to give it larger hands and an arm structure that matches the dawn of war model a bit closer. The arms will be magnetized so it can accept the array of weapons that commander battle suits can carry.

Over the shoudler Missle pods will be an option, although it looks like they may have to be scratch built as the standard Tau missle pod is much too large to use on the shas'o suit.

I'd like this to match the game model pretty closely so any advice or crtique is most welcome :D

Here's a photoshopped pic of what it'll look like once the second shoulder pad is added: Image

The rest of the pics are the work as currently finished:

Here's a bunch of reference pics from the game, there's a few minor variations between the two suits, some shots have additional jump pack vents and most obviously the missle pods:

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Dawn of War Shas'O

Postby paulson games » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:26 am

Got the arms recast and couldn't leave the model alone, might end up not rebuilding the upper arms although a switch to the palstic fusion blasters is sorely needed as shadowsuns blasters are a bit more bulky. Chopped the shoulder pads down a bit so it'd fit in closer under the upper pads and I think the double layered armor gives it a powerful look to the shoulder area.

Here's a few WIP shots showing the side of the missle launcher which was just made from a pair of the scrap resin sprues glued together with a lot of filing scribing and a couple koto bits for the missle tips.

paulson games

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:16 am

It's turning out quite nicely! I don't like the way the head sits atop the armour, but IMO that's a fault with the design, not your work.

The missile tips seem a little too large in diameter to fit into the missile pod.

Finally, I know this isn't on the CGI design but the shoulder/chest plates feel like they should have some panel lines or other scribed details. They're a bit too bare and boring.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:53 am

Got the weapons magnetized so they can be swapped out, also did some work on the head and neck so it fits a bit better. Removed the shoulder pads so they aren't in the way while I'm adding some more underlying structure to the shoulder and back.

Also added a small scribe line to the shoulder pad, was going to add a pair of lenses/holes for extra detail, simular to whats just above the knee but the holes were slightly too large so filled them back in and will be using a smaller bit once it's cured.

I'm considering reworking the missle pod as it's a bit cramped looking for the size of the missles.

paulson games

Postby paulson games » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:18 am

Was messing around a bit with ideas and parts and tried out a pair of fire warrior pads which I thought looked alright.

Also recessed the head a bit more, I think it gives a bit more bulk to the shoulder line for a powerful football player look.

Thought I'd see if there was any feed back or preferences for which version people like better.

Original:

With FW pads:
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:38 am

IMO the FW shoulder pads look way better. I think mainly because, as I've said before, I'm not a fan of the actual design to begin with.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Warhound » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:03 pm

I agree with Zac- the sceond one is far superior, mainly due to the simple lines and lack of 'over design' that the original pads have.

Really nice to see this piece finished at last!

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:57 am

Not that I agree the first set are better, but I strongly disagree that the FW pads work better. To me they feel too big and the football/lozenge shape they have look out of place with the lines on the shoulders. Perhaps cut them down a bit so they flow with the model better or see about simplifying the original pads.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding