ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish's Epic contrivances

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Vaaish's Epic contrivances

Postby Vaaish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

I guess this is scratch building? I mean maybe? anyhow, I've been working on an epic scale necron monolith for a bit and only just now got to reprinting it with changes made to fix issues in my previous iteration. I plan on doing a small run of casts for myself (about 12-24) since no model exists for these and I don't like the final direction the group thread on TacCommand produced despite it's similarity.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Re: Vaaish's Epic contrivances

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Hey that's really cool! I have a heap of questions so I'll list them as so:

Are you doing an entire Necron army (if so what other minis are you using for it)?
How big is it?
I assume it will be cast in 3 pieces?
Is the metal one the TacCommand one?

And don't worry, it counts as a scratchbuild enough for me ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Warhound » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 pm

Ok, I have some questions too!!!

This is awesome work!
What program do you use to design this?
Who do you use to print these, and how much per item is it?

Are any elements sculpted by hand?

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Vaaish » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 am

For this, I just modeled it in Blender. It's pretty simple, one blender unit equals 1mm with the stl exporter. This model is around 2.2cm square. The cost varies depending on where you do it, but this was done from a company called printapart and cost around $50 USD shipped.

None of the elements are sculpted by hand on this.

Zac: I'll be doing a full Necron army, the monolith in the picture was made and cast by a guy on the Tactical Command forums, and there are some very nicely sculpted necron pylons, tomb spiders, and a nightbringer available. THe actual infantry can be made from the excellent Exodus Wars Edenite skeletons and things like destroyers are easily converted from 40k scarab swarms.

Outside of that there are couple of things that don't exist like an atabatior, warbarque, deceiver, tomb complex that I'll be playing with scratch building.

This is actually being cast in 7 pieces. Each of the corner pylons, the sets of vanes on either side and the central body are the pieces I had printed.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 am

One day (and sooner, rather than later) all this 3D printing stuff is going to make us "manual" scratchbuilders obsolete!

$50 sounds expensive, but it's hard to pass judgement until the time spent doing the 3D modelling is taken into account. I suspect the two techniques could end up similar in terms of price/time.

It's a tough one to cast as there's no nice flat surface to place a pour/vent hole, thus the need for them to be done in so many parts. Who will be doing that for you?
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:14 am

Maybe it will make scratch building obsolete, but that doesn't mean we will stop doing it. It's still fun to build things. $50 is kind of expensive, but the process is probably the highest resolution printer I've found for this kind of thing. To be fair, it was 36 for the print and 10 for shipping and I could likely have reduced the cost considerably if I had hollowed out the central portion. The prints made are usually used as masters or to create bronzes for metal casting. I normally wouldn't do this kind of thing, but 6mm modeling is considerably more complex than 28mm modeling.

I'll be getting a guy in texas to cast the models for me. He's had quite a lot of experience with 6mm casting and I've had him cast some smaller things for me before. You could probably put the vent/pour hole on teh bottom of the pieces since those areas are pretty flat.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:34 am

With yet another day going by and a sorry lack of delivered bases (I have tracking confirmation, just the USPS is being unreasonably slow this week shipping them from where ever they are coming from) I've had to postpone some of my plans for the weekend. With this being a build week I had planned on getting a 40k marine mini for a painting swap built, two of the FW Thunderhawk transports for Cal built and washed in prep for painting in the next week or so as well as finishing the prep work on the monoliths and three cron objectives. I'd really wanted to finish up the bases for the obelisks so that could be marked done, but with no bases showing up in the mail, that means I won't be assembling two of the cron objectives or the bases for the obelisks.

If all goes well the monoliths will be ready for painting after this evening. In the mean time, I'll just leave it with the Cron tomb Complex/ blitz objective I did get built this week :)

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:15 am

Looks pretty cool, aproximately how large is it compaired to the monoliths?

(looks like you used two monoliths for the side detail on the structure?)
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:51 am

A monolith is about the height of the central pylon at the rear of the structure. The bits that I used on the sides are the obelisk miscasts from the blue prototype up further in the thread. I have 10 of them painted, but as I mentioned, no bases for them since the postal service is taking it's sweet time getting them to me.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Despite the scale it's nice to see some Necron themed terrain!

What have you got planned for the top of the rearmost structure? As is it's a bit bare in contrast to the rest...
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Actually nothing, I'm aiming to make it look more like engineered rock so there isn't much detail to put on it. Especially being necron terrain there isn't usually much detail on their stuff. Depending on how it looks after it's painted I might go in with green and make some glyphs. But again, it's supposed to be a tomb complex so not so much tech and more hewn rock.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding