ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Stormraven

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Stormraven

Postby paulson games » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Got a bit of a modelling bug tonight and started work on a kitbashed stormraven.

Got the basic body all in place, still needs a lot of styrene work to mesh the two bodies together better and to close up the nose section, Had to change the angle of the upper door on the assault ramp so I'll be filling in the gaps around it and building a new hinge housing. Assault cannons will be added under the front canard wings, one on each side.

I may remove the head light housings on the nose as it'd give it a slightly smoother profile, will be doing some thinking before I cut them free. The vents on the valk wings will be going, not a fan of the pipe/tube shape they have and doesn't match the profile of the thunderhawk wings which I want this design to mimic.

The engines aren't attached yet, just set them on top of the model for the pics. Going to have to put some thought into how to mount them as they have the weird flat side and notches by the intakes.

I may end up doing this with a Templars paint pattern, I know it's not in their codex but I have a templars army and don't want to start over with starting a fresh BA list, so I'll play my templars figures with BA rules.

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Stormraven

Postby Vaaish » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:56 pm

I think this has promise, but as with all storm raven conversions based around a land raider front, you really need to do a good bit of work to make it NOT look like a land raider front. The protruding booms where the tracks sit normally are good on a land vehicle but really look out of place on a flying vehicle. You said you had a lot of styrene work to go, so I'll reserve any comments for when you get farther along. Good placement on the weapons though, they seem to fit pretty well there.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Vaaish has some good pointers. I think the profile is going to look a lot less tank like if you cut the track guides to be flush with the front hatch.

The big problem I have is that as an overall design this thing looks extremely incapable of flight; much less if loaded up with a heap of troops and a Dreadnought. It needs some serious vertical thrust, especially up on that forward section. Those stubbly little forward wings just don't cut it (not to mention the fact that they're in the fire arc of those side heavy bolters ;) )

I do like how the cockpit has turned out though. Very utilitarian and dropship looking.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Bit more work done, the assault ramp I think fits the profile a lot better, looks a bit less like the indented rander front and a bit more like the thunderhawk with a flush ramp. It'll get a strip of styrene to cover up the recess where the tracks were and make it flush with the rest of the hull. Cock pit was lifted slightly and forward sensors added. Assault cannons added, may go back to pop them loose so I can magnetize them for switching out with lascannons.

The canard wings got dropped a bit lower so that when looking at it head on or from the side the hurricane bolters clear over their top (just barely) with a fire control system built into the targeter it should in theory avoid shooting off the wing. Kinda like the mechanical cut off on old WWI biplanes that shoot through the spinning prop. Maybe not the best fluff but really couldn't figure out a way to make the nose look balanced without the wings.

I'll be working in a bunch of vertical thrusters in underneath, probably casting some landspeeder engines or something. The thunderhawk is basically a giant brick and there's no way it'd ever fly given it's design, this I wanted to capture some of that look. It's basically just a reusable drop pod with nubby wings. Some of the new NASA and military transorbital designs like the X-19 get all of their lift from the body and have a complete wedge shape that don't sport wings other than stabilizers. So the theory is that it's kept a float with a combination of repulsors and pure brute force of teh engines. Marine vehicle designs IMO seem to be all about the brick look. (even if unrealistic to fly)

I'll be removing the teeth type indents along the bottom, it's hard to see in these pics but I already dremmeled away the circular studs/posts on the armor that form the axle points of the tread flywheels. Later on they'll be filled in with greenstuff to just be a flat spanse of armor. Along with the indents being removed it should give a lot smoother profile and hopefully lose some of the ground tank look.

The heavy bolters will likely be added as a belly gun, I'd considered placing it on top behind the cockpit but afetr some thinking I realized that helicopter guns ships are generally used against ground targets, and a top mounted weapon implies a seperate air superiority or AA role which doesn't seem to fit in with the character of the design. IMO it's more about being able to strafe the LZ than take on air targets like a fighter.

paulson games

Postby paulson games » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Started on the dreadnought's magnetic clamp.

The servo arms are being held on with sticky tac, they'llbe getting a much more permanant mount once I have a chance to do some more styrene work.

paulson games

Postby mangozac » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:09 am

Are those from an Aliens power loader? They work well, although I can't quite see where they are going to grab the Dreadnought by - his shoulders maybe?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding