ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

isophthalic resin

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

isophthalic resin

Postby cat's squirrel » Fri May 07, 2010 12:28 am

I have been doing some experiments with isophthalic resins, measuring their ability to damp sound. The resin is filled with bentonite clay particles. All was going well until the guy who is making the samples used a resin from a different supplier. It gave readings half the value of the previous samples. Changing back to a new batch of original resin restored the values, measured originally.

Both resins were described as isophthalic. I know what this refers to. Does anyone know if isophthalic resins are made with different ingredients, whether the acid or anhydiride are used, whether styrene is always used, and which polyols are used?

thanks.

Cat
cat's squirrel
Casual

Re: isophthalic resin

Postby mangozac » Fri May 07, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Cat,

Well that's certainly the most technical question we've had on here, and I think it may be beyond most of us. From some quick Googling I just did it seems that isophthalic is a type of polyester resin; a bit different to the polyurethane used for modelling. It's been a while since I've done much chemistry, so I really can't even attempt to answer your question. Have you broached the question with the supplier of the resin which worked best?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mintra » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:54 am

Cat

Can you be more specific about what you have tried. That is what is the resin that worked and what was the mix you have been using, as I may wish to do a bit of experimenting myself.

john
mintra
Casual

Postby mintra » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:13 am

mintra
Casual

Postby Hiflt4@juno.com » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:20 am

Of or pertaining to isophthalic acid and its derivatives.

Resins of this type are of a low styrene content, and exibit superior weathering and heat resistant characteristics and are often used in fiberglass applications.

You could suspend any material often used in noise control applications for walls in the resin to produce atleas some resistance of its passage.

Closed cell vinyl nitrile foam mat with a resin infusion may produce the material you are looking for.
Hiflt4@juno.com
Casual

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding