[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Superheavy Assault Walker
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Superheavy Assault Walker

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Superheavy Assault Walker

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 am

I'll grab some shots of the mould for you tonight ;)

Just opened up the new weapons mould and it has turned out seriously perfect. The first half of the rear chassis mould looks great too but I've gotta run to work now so won't be able to pour the other half until tonight.

I also sorted out the voids in the lower leg mould. I hacked into the mould from the outside with a knife until I found the voids. Then just filled the craters up with some more silicone and it's all fixed :D

2.5 moulds to go!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Mark, I quickly snapped these pics before I left for work this morning using my phone camera as I won't have access to a computer tonight. Sorry for the crappy quality but I hope it gets the idea across...

OK so here's the three parts of the lower leg mould. For maximum mould longevity I decided to do it in 3-part because of the giant undercut where the upper leg plugs in. It turned out that the 3-part mould is technically no more difficult than a 2-part one, it just requires a little more planning.
mould1.jpg

And in this next pic you can see that the centre piece has been inserted into one of the mould halves. The two parts will not plug together to complete the mould. Simple!
mould2.jpg

If it's not clear enough I'll see if I can get some better pics later.
mangozac

Postby Pelenor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:20 pm

As i keep saying in the Emails, Great Work!

but aside from the compliments i do have a fluff question that you may or may not be able to answer.

In my mind I see these machines being deployed on a "need to have Basis" where the the fighting is particularly fierce and use usual Tau tactics of using Aircraft are going to be more in-effective

The reason i ask is because of the paint scheme I am going to use, which would be a more general "tau" themed job, and not necessarily in my Cad'res Sept Colors

Thanks in Advance
Pelenor
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Hey Pelenor welcome to RA! Pull up a stright jacket and make yourself at home in your padded cell ;)

Much like Titans in the Imperial organisation, I would expect that such Tau superheavies would be in a "need to have" basis like you say. Let's say in our little expanded universe that the Tau have access to a range of heavy/superheavy ground vehicles such as this. Here's how I would imagine it would work:

For much of the time these ground based superheavies go against the grain of standard Tau military doctrine, however there are situations where the extra heavy support is necessary. The Tau military structure is quite dynamic, changing its formation and grouping as required, thus there is only one real position for any kind of heavy support contingent: at the sept (or planet) level.

Not all septs are large enough (or military focused enough) to support something as intensive and powerful as a superheavy support contingent and thus only the larger and more militaristic septs would have them. It would therefore be common for the superheavy contingents to "loan" superheavy cadres as required to military campaigns, whether their normal cadres are active in that campaign or not. This is quite similar to the way that the Adeptus Mechanicus and Imperial Guard work.

This then would allow you to paint your kit in any colours you like, although the colours of a more prominent sept would be more correct.

Like that? ;)

I do love the idea of somebody painting theirs in T'au sept colours though. I know Warhound won't be...
mangozac

Postby Pelenor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Pelenor
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 pm

You have my blessings ;)
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:18 pm

I was having some issues with the lower leg casts having some small bubbles in some of the detail areas. They were only small but still annoying me quite a bit :x

Anyway somebody told me a little while ago that by dusting the mould with talcum powder the bubbles have a harder time sticking to the surface and will dissipate more easily. So I gave it a go. Here are the results: on the left is the cast sans-talc and on the right is the cast using talc.
bubble_free_1.JPG

bubble_free_2.JPG

I will note however that I'm not just using talc here. Every few pulls I give the mould a quick blast with polyurethane mould release just to help prolong its life. You don't want to add the talc until that is well and truly dry.

Then, once I've poured the resin into the mould, I place a flat block of silicone (cut from an old mould) over the pour and vent holes, then tilt the mould around 90 degrees in all directions. Whilst tilting the mould around I tap it with my other hand to help dislodge bubbles. You need to make sure that the rubber bands holding the mould together are super tight or you'll get leaks!
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 pm

The new casts are looking great. Man I can't wait to see this thing together in it's full glory.

Now that I have my vacuum pump I've been experimenting a bit and I've found that it works great for getting the resin into the voids with a minimum of channels but I found I was getting some bubbles internally again. The surfaces and details were coming out fine but small bubbles were popping up inside. I figured out that with only a 2 minute working life on the resin I was taking too much time between mixing pouring and vacuuming before pressurizing. I figure dout how to do everything a bit faster and the extra 30 seconds seems to be the time it needs to crush those bubbles.

Something to watch for if you notice any internal bubbles when cleaning up the parts.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:11 am

OK I got excited this morning and snapped a shot of the first completed set of parts that I'm sending to Warhound. The sharp eyed will notice that it's only 98% complete - the front chassis is missing. The mould for that is currently curing ;)

Exciting, no? It's pretty heavy when you pick it all up - you don't realise just how crazy a 2kg model is!
mangozac

Postby Seb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:32 am

Brilliant, was wondering why I heard AT-AT walker stomping sounds and tremors from the north..

- Seb.
Seb

Postby paulson games » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:08 pm

That's looking pretty boss, can't wait to see it built.
paulson games

Postby Warhound » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 pm

and I can't wait to build it! :mrgreen:

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
:lol:

"Here come the guns, here come the guns.., baby baby baby...." (name that tune in one;-P)

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Wolfs16 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:17 am

So it is finally done, eh? Well congratulations! The kit looks great and will most defintly make many a Tau Shas'O happy.

So when are you gonna start the next project?

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby Arkangel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:38 am

Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 am

It's not 100% done, but close enough that I'll accept everybody's salutations ;)

I'll be pouring the second half of the front chassis mould tonight, then will cast it on the weekend. There won't be any completed assembled pics until Warhound gets and assembles his though in a couple of weeks.

And I see Mark is a bit of a Rogue Traders fan. I only know 'cause they're Aussie and got a lot of air play here ;)

Time now to start on the next project - planning is already in progress, modelling will begin in the coming weeks.
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding