ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Crisis Rifle & Total Suit Mod

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Crisis Rifle & Total Suit Mod

Postby paulson games » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Felt inspired tonight and pieced together a plasma rifle for a new crisis suit.

Hand is carved down plastic with a koto bit, rifle butt from a chunk of resin and the sight is styrene with a koto bit.

I'm going to likewise build a fusion blaster variant which will look something like this (photoshopped this pic)

IMO it looks a bit like a teched up AK-47 but I like it. :D

A pair of shots with it sticky-tacked onto a suit. The left arm will also be getting a hand so it'll be the same length and not be so stubby looking. I think I may also lengthed the upper arms slightly

Might need to shorten down the forearm and rifle butt slighty?
Last edited by paulson games on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Crisis Rifles

Postby mangozac » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:56 pm

It'll look more balanced with a hand on the other arm, but I dunno, I've never been a fan of hand-held crisis weapons. Much to your disdain I quite like the way stock weapons mount (although the FW suits have the best weapons mounts by far).

I do like the hand design though and certainly feel like it suits the aesthetic correctly. Good to see it has the correct number of fingers also ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Kennui » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:40 am

Same thoughts as mango, it doenst look bad and will look very unique on the battlefield but it's still too static. For a nimble hand, I'd expect a more sophisticated arm if you know what i mean.

Do any of you guys know of or like heavy gear? I played heavy gear 2 and loved it. They are of better design than the other brands of mech/anime/gundam. They use nimble arms to carry various weapons such as rifles, close combat weapons, heavy weapons and to GET OFF THE GROUND when they fall over or get knocked. A crisis suit with a single broken thruster is doomed.

The gears also had wheels they can use and many perks and flaws. They are several metres tall and are piloted like crisis suits.

Any love?
Kennui
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:28 am

Yeah Heavy Gear is great, and certainly one of the more realistic mecha designs.

Actually, I'd like to see hands on a suit that retain the stock weapons mounting system. I figure in practise the weapons mounts would rotate the barrel of the weapon up and out of the way when the pilot has to manipulate something with the hands.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:48 pm

What started simply as a rifle conversion is quickly transforming into a full suit conversion...

Modified the head, did a very rough extension of the upper arms which I'll be cleaning up later. Started working on the left hand (not pictured) and began converting a shield generator from a drone.

I plan on lengthening the waist and also modify it so it can twist at the hips. The legs and backpack will likely also recieve changes to give the suit a taller & more proportioned appearance.

I'd played heavy gear, has some ok stuff in it but their mech designs never quite sat right with me for some reason. Never really cared for the mech roller skates, but they do have some interesting design points on a few mechs.
paulson games

Postby paulson games » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:06 pm

So it's devil's night (night before halloween) and since I'm not one for arson and vandalizing I have absolutely nothing to do, so like the giant nerd I am I decided to break out the modelling tools. The work on the suit continues with a good amount of progress. Cut the jump pack free and posistioned them together centered in the back. Then I seperated the hips from the suits torso and built an adjustable waist.

The suit has gained a good amount of height and a slightly more narrowed profile. It's currently a little unsteady and not standing perfectly upright as everything is being held by pins. The hip and groin area are still in the very rough stage and will be getting cleaned up and more detail added.

I'll also be adding some knee pads and posisbly extending the shins slightly, but I'm not 100% sure on the extension as it'll add additional height to an already tall suit. I'll have to make the call based on hos the chunkiness of the legs is once the knee pads are on.

paulson games

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding