[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - LizardGod Hxo
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

LizardGod Hxo

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

LizardGod Hxo

Postby Kiour_gr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:41 am

Hello,

This is the current model I am working on and the reason I joined the forum.
LizardGod Hxo
still WIP

I Have now made the bulk of the arms and the fingers attached to a staff.
Photos hopefully tonight.
Kiour_gr
Casual

Re: LizardGod Hxo

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 am

Have you done much sculpting before this? So far it seems to be on the right track and the proportions look ok. Sculpting isn't my strong point and it's still a bit early to give much more feedback than that.

Will look forward to your progress!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby paulson games » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:59 pm

Nice work so far, I think the details on the feet are nice and crisp. Will definately be keeping an eye on this as it progresses.
paulson games

Postby Kiour_gr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:33 am

A bit more done

Kiour_gr
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 am

It's coming along pretty nicely. I will say I feel like his teeth need a little more definition though - as is they don't feel separated from his jaw enough.
mangozac

Postby Kiour_gr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:32 am

almost there, apologies for the dark photo

when I attempt to cast it where would you cut him up?

His hands are attached to the staff and that all comes as one part (hands and staff).
Kiour_gr
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:43 am

Nice work on the staff - good idea using beads like that ;)

To chop up for casting I think you're going to have to do 5 parts:
- Body
- Head
- Staff and hands
- Left arm
- Right arm

You could maybe have the arms attached to the hands and the staff, reducing it to 3 parts, but I think it would be too bubble prone for casting.
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:26 am

I've been watching this to see where you were going with the model. I think it's come out fairly well and I like what you've done with the staff. I am bothered by the crest you have on him currently. It seems a bit large and awkward for the model with how far it extends back and how thick it is. Going back and looking at the rest of the Lizardman lineup, I also think it is odd in how the crest is disconnected from the rest of the model at the base rather than attaching to the back of the skull more like the skink models. I think that changing it would help the model flow much better.

Last I think you could use more ornamentation on the model. Things like wrist armor, arm rings, decorative covers on the crest would all help breathe more life into the model.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Kiour_gr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:49 pm

THank you for your info, very helpful.

The crest does go back too much, I see that too now thanks.
I am going to cast it as it is and work more on the resin model. Where i am not afraid to cut and rebuild.
This is all new and exciting for me, so I am very eager to see my work in resin even if not perfect.
I am also thinking of a second head with a mask.
Ornaments will be added I agree.

I finaly cut him in 6 parts.

Head
Body
L. Arm
R Arm
Staff with hands
Tail.

and the bugger still need some more work.
Kiour_gr
Casual

Postby Kiour_gr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:42 am

Hello,
This is the way I placed the models parts in the mold

If you could point out my mistakes I would appreciate it.
Kiour_gr
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 am

Mostly pretty good. I think you will have do a few cuts in the final mould using a knife but that's no big deal. I would add the following channels though (in green) - you can either do them now or cut then in later.

12151.jpg

One other comment is that your mould is a fair bit bigger than it needs to be. No big deal but it means you're wasting expensive silicone. Oh and don't forget to poke some locating keys into the clay!
mangozac

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding