ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Rifle Concept

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Rifle Concept

Postby paulson games » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Here's a rifle design that I came up with to stand in as an alternate for the firewarrior pulse rifles.

Inspired in part by some of the pulse rifle variants I did from GW bits, mixed with lines on the walter sniper rilfe and the aliens pulse rifle.

Image.

With a little luck I'll have a scratch built version of this in the semi near future.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Rifle Concept

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:32 pm

I like it. Generic yet Tau looking ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Kennui » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Yea, with the amount of these types of rifles, it's pretty hard to be original. On of my convertion tricks was from such a gun. Not sure what game the concept art was from, but it was blocky with refined. The scope bit from the IG heavy weapons sprue has a scope thats exactly like it, and I now use it as my default sci-fi scope attachment.

I still have a nice stock of bolter scopes i'm saving for a rainy day :D

I'll pull an example out of my photobucket:

PS. i love it. I've been drawing some tau close combat weapons recently. So far I have a decent looking cleaver, combat blade and power sword/regular sword.
Kennui
Casual

Postby blind pig » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:02 am

Looks Tau to me.

Be nice to have a 3D printer that could do that sort of resolution and not need a heck of a lot of sanding to finish.

One of those "to have" things when I win powerball next week. :)
blind pig
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:37 pm

I'm looking at a couple places to have it printed at but not sure any of the companies can print something small enough to capture the detail on an infantry scale weapon.

It may be the old fashioned route of constructing it by hand with good old styrene and greenstuff. Will definately be some tedious work but can look really good if it's done right.

I'm saving my pennies for a spin caster then a printer but neither one are particuarly cheap, so it's some long term goals, possibly even a pipe dream. ;)
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:03 pm

The best place to do that would probably be print a part. They have excellent resolution and many of the tactical command guys regularly use them to print out bits for 6mm epic models. They can be slightly pricey on larger bits if the model isn't optimized.

I think you nailed the tau feel to the rifle, but this screams a gues'avre (sp?) pulse rifle rather than one used with the firewarriors.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:41 pm

One thing I'm a bit unsure of is what tollerances to set the scribe and panel lines at. The Stuff I got from shapeways lost a lot of detail and also had some stepping that futher reduced the detail when I had to sand parts smooth.

Any idea what depth & width I should be looking at doing for panel lines?

The rifles I was actually planning on using for a unit of my Tau valkyries, ie vespid stand ins

(these guys)

I wanted a slightly differant design to the weapon so it's distinct for gameplay and also free of IP so I can cast it as a sale worthy bit.

I'm still open to any design suggestions if anybody has any.
paulson games

Postby paulson games » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:38 pm

I also started a photoshop mock up for the B.F.G. (big frakin gun!)

Which will be a slightly scaled down version of the gun used on this concept suit:
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Shapeways has crap resolution. don't ever get anything you need fine detail on printed there.

For panel lines, I did .3mm wide by .3mm deep or .1mm deep on my obelisk model and that printed fine. here is a pic of the result:

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding