[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Commission job: BFG Inquisition Black Ship
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Commission job: BFG Inquisition Black Ship

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Commission job: BFG Inquisition Black Ship

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:46 pm

So a few weeks back I got approached to make a pair of Inquisition Black Ships as a commission job. These are basically special, secretive ships built by the Mars shipyards for special use by Inquisitorial forces. The Black Ship is well armed for its size and is supposed to be constructed using Imperial Cruiser and Space Marine Battlebarge bits, but my client wanted something unique so I decided to scratchbuild a "conversion kit" to fit onto the Imperial Cruiser model.

The following pics show my progress so far, namely the jumbo Battlebarge-styled weapons battery and larger engines (and "rudder" style drive shield) to represent the Black Ship's faster speed. The 6+ all around armour value will be represented by some large vertical fins each side of the main rear hull section.

The weapons battery is pretty much done and the engine section just needs the horizontal fin structure added between the forward sections of the drive tubes. I might start wok on the prow next...

Enjoy!
Attachments
blackship_1.JPG
blackship_2.jpg
blackship_3.jpg
blackship_4.jpg
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Commission job: BFG Inquisition Black Ship

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:09 am

This is quite nice.... Nice indeed!! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:27 am

Thanks MJ. The client saw the shots and was very happy too!
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:36 am

just trying to give credit....
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:37 am

Looking good so far. You've done an excellent job with the battery sections. I'll be interested to see where things go with the bridge and forward sections of the ship.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:36 pm

So 2/3 through my Christmas break and I don't have a lot to show for it. I spent too much time just doing braindead relaxing (like reading books, etc.) rather than modelling. Anyway, I decided since this is a commission job I'd best pull my finger out and get it done before I head back to work. So I've made a good chunk more progress:

Blackship_5.JPG

Blackship_6.JPG

The vertical fins are pretty much done, as is the prow launch bay/torpedo tube piece. I'm now down to final detailing of the engine block. I've blue-tacked on the standard Imperial bridge, but I don't think it does the design justice. It needs a larger, longer bridge superstructure like seen on battleships.

Any comments?
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:52 am

looking quite cool. I find it slightly odd that there is no inquisitorial symbols on there though. I'd have thought it would appear in the circles on the rear fins.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:31 am

Very Cool.... I agree with Vaash somewhat BUT aren't the black ships unmarked?? They are dark and mysterious with psychic null fields to avoid detection and nothing marking them as ships of the =][= or am I drunk again??
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:21 am

Oh yeah it is supposed to have the Inquisition I logo on the vertical fins - I'll do it in greenstuff after filling in the circular part ;)
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:28 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Good research MJ ;)

Quick update for tonight. I've done the =I= symbols on the vertical fins and effectively finished the engine block piece. The prow piece is also done so all that is left is the replacement bridge. I'm trying to find some inspiration as to how to make it - it may end up somewhat Kar Duniash in style, as the client wants a few antenna masts on there...

Planning to start on some of the moulds in the next couple of days.

vertical fin.JPG
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Almost done!

All that's left now is adding finishing touches like extra bits of detail where necessary. I've just finished a mould for the weapons module and will probably do the moulds for everything else tomorrow. It's fantastic how quick it is to make moulds using the Pinkysil!

blackship_7.JPG

blackship_8.JPG

blackship_9.JPG

blackship_10.JPG

blackship_11.JPG
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 am

I saw you post this last night but it was so late that I didn't think I had a clear enough mind to post anything coherent. On the whole I think this turned out really well. I like the batteries and rear fins, engine cluster, and the prow launch bay. However, I think that the bridge could use a little work. Right now it's blocky but not in a good way. From the front it looks quite nice but the way it extends back feels a bit boring and regular in relation to the rest of the shapes on the model. I think that part of this could be fixed by having the bridge taper or angle in as it goes back instead of staying the same width to accommodate for the antenna. This would probably need to start after the second vertical rib. Could be as simple as chopping it off right there and adding a "Y" shaped bit ending in an antenna mount with the other antenna placed where the descender meets the arm of the y.

The other bit I find odd is the choice of turret for the dorsal mounts. If you have some of the flat 4 barrel chaos turrets, they would look better and keep more with the sleek lines you have going that the blocky ones you've got there right now.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:10 am

You know, you're so very painfully correct about the bridge. I realised this about halfway through but ignored it and the more I worked on it the more committed I was and thus I got used to its boxiness. But I agree it's really lacking in shape.

The reason was that I had this plan that it would fit over the top of the section behind the standard Imperial bridge, rather than cutting that section off. I don't know why I did that - it was a silly idea. But then I don't know why I bothered making a bridge anyway - I this morning thought to see what a Chaos cruiser bridge would look like and did these quick Photochops:

new_bridge_1.JPG

new_bridge_2.JPG

I think it looks way better, but I'll ask the client.

I've also tried the flatter 3-barrelled cannons along the dorsal mounts. They probably do work better - again we'll see which the client prefers.

Anyway I think it's safe to make moulds for the engine block and side fins now.
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:28 am

I think that helps considerably but I've never been fond of the chicken comb antennas on the back of that bridge style though that's easily fixed.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding