[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - How to make rivets
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

How to make rivets

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

How to make rivets

Postby Ein » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Here's a quick tutorial of the way I make my domed rivets.
I hope you find it useful
Here are the main tools I use:

Swiss Beading Tools

Here's how the edges look:

I use Evergreen styrene 0.005" (0.13mm) almost as thin as a sheet of paper and I punch it through against a piece of hard vulcanized rubber (in this case a piece of an old cutting matt) The main secret here is the pressure you apply on the hammer: too little and it won't cut the styrene, too much and the rivet will be too embedded into the rubber:

Here are the finished rivets:

Hope you guys like it!
Support your local hobby shop !
Ein
Casual

Re: How to make rivets

Postby blind pig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks for that!

I've been using a Rotary Leather Sewing punch that I bought of evilBay. It is used to partially punch through the plasticard from the backside and leaves a raised dome of a rivet on the opposite side.

Push a little harder and it will punch out a rivet. The only changes I made was to round off the pin with a file to stop it making a hole in the plasticard.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tandy-Leather-Ha ... 2c59a0141c
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:12 am

Humm very cool.... Mine are not "domed" but I do like this....

I use a holepunch I got from Jo Anns fabrics. It was in the Scrapbooking section. Its a Martha Stewart set I believe. Three different sizes and nothing fancy:

And yes Mine are pink, blue and purple..... what about it??? :evil:

I also have this:

I dont use it often anymore but it worked well when I did...
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 am

I have the same as the second pic MJ posted but they were only like $2.00 and are a total piece of crap! Any Rivets I've been doing I've just been using my chopper to slice up bits of styrene rod. But again, that's for flat rivets. I should get some hex rod one day for doing the same...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:13 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Barn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 am

Has anyone tried the forgeworld style water filter rivets?
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:28 am

Can you clarify?
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am

Oh I see. I know Warhound and Paulson have both done that kind of thing using buck shot, but since I don't have any I never tried it. I do have access to Brita filter cartridges though so will definitely have to get some and try it out!
mangozac

Postby Barn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Barn
User

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding