[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Centurion Mecha
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Centurion Mecha

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Centurion Mecha

Postby Vaaish » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 am

Wow, I'd nearly forgotten about this one, looking forward to seeing the progress!
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:19 pm

OK no more mucking around then!

The first thing I want to get done is the foot. I started playing around in Inkscape trying to come up with a cool tread pattern and nothing was working for me. Then it hit me: what would the mecha's namesake have had on the sole of his boot? Some googling revealed that a Roman sandals are called Caligae and the bottom was made with metal studs protruding:

picture2.jpg

I figured "hey, why not?" and made up a version with those in Inkscape:

foot v3.png

FYI each of the studs is 2mm diameter. I think it works. Of course I'll have to get Bec to LAZOR!!! me up that centre cog symbol as it's too fine for my router to handle (and there's no way in hell I'm doing it by hand).

Once the tread is done the foot will be pretty much completed and I'll be able to mould it up...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:08 pm

I'll send you my email address.

LMK what thickness of styrene and I'll get it from Hobby One on Creek Rd (five minutes away by motorbike) LAZOR!!!! it and post it to you.

It can be designed in any program that gives lines - even publisher -, just make sure you do the lines as thin as possible (usually as hairline outline), and I'll get it to you asap.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks Bec that will be great - email sent!

I did some more playing around and had an idea to revisit the studs using some elongated shapes also:

foot v4.png

I think this looks a lot better. Notice how each of the features has an inset outline? This represents the top of the feature - the sides will have a mild slope to them.

Thoughts?
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Looks good!

If you want all the bits cut out, they will need to be a single colour. If you want bits engraved onto the plasticard, then have the bits to be cut black and the bits to be engraved red. if you want a lighter pattern, go cyan or green.

you can send me the whol lot of the tread if you want, we are talking about two minutes worth of LAZORING!!!! to do what you have in that last photo.

Did you want that symbol with the wreath (whatever it was called) above engraved on some styrene too?

LMK
Bec
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks but the LAZOR won't give me the sloped edges I want (will it?). I've got to go out to work to let a courier in tomorrow (still got another week off though) so I'll just route the stud shapes out while I'm there. Shouldn't take long.

Hmmm a symbol with the wreath engraved on styrene would be cool to try - and it will be interesting to see how the styrene engraves. I'll send you the file for that too ;)
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Nah. LAZORS!!!! will only do 90degree stuff unfortunately.

I stole that above symbol and will try and do it up in 1.5mm styrene in several sizes, just for the shits and giggles.

Post Friday for you.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:14 pm

So I've hit the ground running!

I went out to work this morning and after 30 minutes had the studs and tread patterns routed out using an engraving bit, which gave them a nice angled edge (I'd guess about 75°). Once home I glued most of them on immediately and have to say that I'm really pleased with the result:

Centurion_WIP_21.jpg

I can't add any of the studs to the centre part of the foot as I'll have to wait for the cog pattern that Bec is LAZORING!! me to arrive on Monday. It will be a long weekend! I'm fighting the urge to start moulding the toes up already (they are all complete), as it will be preferable to mould all of the foot parts on the one sprue.

I also added a couple of recessed rivets to the armour plate on top of the foot.

Remember back early in this project we were discussing the shin armour options? Well looking at it again now I'm feeling like no shin armour at all will look fine and also make my life easier (less parts to scratchbuild and mould). To counter it I might try to beef up the thigh armour slightly, however overall I think I'm going to take the design in the direction of undersized looking legs, style.

I guess I'll need to start thinking about the torso and arms soon...
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:30 am

Vaaish and I were discussing some stuff by email and he mentioned that he agrees that losing the leg armour is a good idea, but would like to see some kind of knee pad. Great idea! I did some playing around and came up with the design in the following pic. It's essentially a cut down and improved version of the original shin armour. I threw this together using 0.25mm styrene since it's so easy to slice up and do rapid prototyping with. I can now use these shapes as templates to cut out the final versions, which I'll probably make out of 2mm thick styrene.

Centurion_WIP_22.jpg

I'm tossing up whether to do them asymmetrical (so would have to make two separate, mirrored pieces) or just the same part on both sides. If I go asymmetrical then I'll probably draw them up and CNC cut them.

You can also see hanging off just under the hip is a fancy cylindrical piece. I have no idea what it is supposed to be, but I felt like the area needed something sticking out, so I made that. It still needs details like banding and rivets, and you can just see a hose protruding out the end which snakes back to a coupling at the base.
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:47 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Lane » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:11 pm

The bit sticking out just doesn't look right to me.

I agree you need something there but it looks like a random bit stuck on because you saw it on another model. Kind of like Tau, Dark Eldar and Gray Knights models.

My first thought was it could be a drive motor. Each leg, or even each joint, could have it's own hydraulic system thus making them more damage resistant. Unfortunately the angle and mount look wrong. Maybe rotate it so the cylinder is horizontal, grafted to the outside of the leg and the big end sticks out the back. Add some armor plates to the outside and cooling fins to the inside.

Another idea would be to remove the cylinder and beef up the plate with the vent. Extend that plat to cover the area below the hip joint and make it thicker. I would say about 2-3 times as thick then add a small bulge or two on top of that.
Lane
Habit

Postby Eltnot » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:06 pm

The cylinder makes me think of a hydraulic system or gas, either shouldn't be exposed like that. Perhaps something gyro like to provide stability for the mech when moving fast?
Eltnot
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:32 pm

While I agree that something could go there like a vent or other greeble, perhaps it would be best to leave that area alone until you get more of the mech built so you can see how things flow and better decide on what needs to go there?
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lane makes some very good points and to be really honest I was feeling a little the same way but was ignoring it because I liked how the part itself was turning out. Ultimately I think I'll put it aside for use somewhere else.

There are two problems with the part as designed: it protrudes too far and the 90° angle it protrudes at is too perpendicular. These can be easily rectified with a new design but Vaaish makes a very good point: there is indeed no rush to complete this part now. It will be preferable to wait until later in the build to add those kinds of details. It will be a separate piece to the thigh anyway so it won't even impede casting.
mangozac

Postby Arkangel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:20 am

Mate I'm sooooooo glad you came back to this!!! Cant wait to see the progress!! :mrgreen:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding